MPG question

Started by river1, September 22, 2005, 01:35:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

river1

with the latest rise in gas prices i've been filling the tank when it's around the half mark. previous to the rise i filled it at just below the 1/4 mark. when i checked the MPG at the 1/4 mark fills i averaged 16/17.5. now when i fill it at the half mark i'm averaging 18/18.5.

why the rise in MPG? it's got me flummoxed, any ideas. :(D)

later jim :b-d:
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

purplepickup

I'll bet you're driving habits have changed a little.  Mine have and I get better mileage by a couple of mpg's too.  I take off less aggressively, drive slower in general, avoid passing gear, and try to time traffic lights.  

I've wondered about carrying the extra weight of a full tank but it doesn't seem to make any difference.  Shoot, if you don't fill the tank today it will cost more tomorrow.  Amazing how quick we acclimated to thinking $2.65 is a deal. :shock:
George

slocrow

Jim; I'm with George on this one. Look at the before and after spread you offered. A more consistent number with the higher mileag demonstrating a conscious effort to control. Does/did AZ switch to a Winter formula for gasoline?
Or, you've lost weight; are driving only down hill; effected buy recent tail winds; changed to the AZ taller Winter tires and lastly less friction from lower humidity........... :lol: ....Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

manyolkars

I read a website where an old guy said he had been adding 2 to 3 ounces of acetone per tank since the early fifties.  He claimed it would increase mileage.  Yeah, right.   We tried it on a 320 mile trip in a Jeep pulling a trailer with a 26 touring body and frames. We got the usual 18 mpg.  On the way home with no (air scoop) load  on the trailer, we got 20.  Thats not much of an increase. Has anyone else tried acetone?

entodad

Quote from: "manyolkars"I read a website where an old guy said he had been adding 2 to 3 ounces of acetone per tank since the early fifties.  He claimed it would increase mileage.  Yeah, right.   We tried it on a 320 mile trip in a Jeep pulling a trailer with a 26 touring body and frames. We got the usual 18 mpg.  On the way home with no (air scoop) load  on the trailer, we got 20.  Thats not much of an increase. Has anyone else tried acetone?

An additive such as acetone should not increase the mileage unless it corrects a problem such as detonation. The acetone itself is noting more than a propane molecule with a ketone group on the center carbon ( an Oxygen double bonded to the center carbon).  If anything the mileage should go down very slightly since there is two less carbon-hydrogen bonds to break when the molecule is burned.

Doug 8)
WaChiss......(famous last hillbilly word)

river1

if there has been a change in my driving habit it had to be subconcience. i am a lead foot always have been always will be. after i read about losing weight (me? LOL) i did think of one thing, my tool chest is missing my tool box and my floorjack that i unloaded to take to bonneville. i'll have to keep track of this and keep you'all posted.

thanks jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Crosley.In.AZ

I'd vote on a subconscious change in driving habit.  

Our fuel mileage should double here soon.  We have purchased a 2006 VW Jetta TDI to replace one of our trucks
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

parklane

You talk about gas being a bargain at $2.65. In some areas around here the price went from $1.04/liter yesterday to $2.20 this morning. That's over 100% increase overnite. FYI that equates to $8.32/ gal. Are we having fun yet??    :shock:  :shock:
John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

Land Yacht

The gas may be different, supposedly the federal government lifted regional formulation requirements  in order to keep supply moving after katrina.
1965 Impala SS 283/250 -sold- :(
1977 Chevy Caprice -totaled 2005 :(

1999 Chevy S-10 ZR2  Bacon Getter

tomslik

Quote from: "Crosley"I'd vote on a subconscious change in driving habit.  

Our fuel mileage should double here soon.  We have purchased a 2006 VW Jetta TDI to replace one of our trucks

you have my sypathy
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"

you have my sypathy

Don't need it, thanks.   :wink:

I tried to buy a new GMC truck tonight, they did not have the truck in the color my wife wanted in a 300 mile radius.

dammit
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)