Fuel leak

Started by 40, September 20, 2005, 10:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

As I mentioned in my earlier post....After firing up the 36 for the first time,I have a fuel leak from the bottom of the pump.There are 2 small bolts that thread thru the bottom of the pump to hold the diaphram and spring assembly in place and I have a drip from one of them.I'm not sure exactly how they are supposed to be sealed but am wondering if there's a type of thread sealer or something similar that will stand up to the fuel and can be applied in a "wet" situation as I'd really like to avoid removing the pump if possible.Seems I remember someone on here that used some type of sealer to repair a pinhole in a fuel tank without draining it??Just wondering if something similar would work for me.The temporary solution was to make a small rubber washer to seal it but I prefer something a little more permanant.Thanks!!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

MrMopar64

That clay look'n tank patch you get at the auto parts store can be used without draining the tank........
Not sure if it will work for you maybe remove the screw pack some in the hole then replace the screw and let it harden......

MM64  8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

Jbird

Maybe a copper washer, or a fiber washer like you find in carburetor kits. If you can get it dried out, Locktite fast setting epoxy will seal it.
  Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

rooster

Quote from: "40"As I mentioned in my earlier post....After firing up the 36 for the first time,I have a fuel leak from the bottom of the pump.There are 2 small bolts that thread thru the bottom of the pump to hold the diaphram and spring assembly in place and I have a drip from one of them.I'm not sure exactly how they are supposed to be sealed but am wondering if there's a type of thread sealer or something similar that will stand up to the fuel and can be applied in a "wet" situation as I'd really like to avoid removing the pump if possible.Seems I remember someone on here that used some type of sealer to repair a pinhole in a fuel tank without draining it??Just wondering if something similar would work for me.The temporary solution was to make a small rubber washer to seal it but I prefer something a little more permanant.Thanks!!

I just used some stuff called red-kote! You will have to remove the tank to get it to cover everthing. Its thick like honey! We got at NAPA. The picture is the funnel we made to get it to the ends of the tank, you can see the coating.
http://www.damonq.com/TechSheets/Red-Kote.pdf#search='red%20kote'