Well,it's a runner again.

Started by GPster, September 17, 2005, 12:01:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

Well, months ago the six cylinder in my truck project didn't even have the strength to pull it up the 4" rise and into the garage. Didn't even have the power to idle in gear (powerglide) so I figured after 10 years in a car sitting under a tree maybe the carburetor needed rebuilt. No little tag on the carb so I got a kit for it with just the brand of the carb and the year of the car. That part seemed to work OK. Then I got out my new, never been taken out of the box, parts washer. Looked at the solvent that had been supplied with it and find out it's bio-degradable and is mixed with water. Mixed it according to the instructions on the jug and flipped the lid on the parts cleaner to discover a sign that read "TO BE USED ONLY WITH PETROLEUM BASED SOLVENTS". Well I've got 3 gallons of this stuff mixed and a dirty carb so I try it anyway. Doesn't clean worth s..t! The cleaner left a residue on the carb parts when it dried. I even tried soaking and cleaning the parts in kerosene. When they dried the white powdery resdue was back. Not only that but the minute it got in the impeller housing of the pump for the parts cleaner it bound up the nylon parts and I had to dismantle the brand new pump to get it free enough to run. Gave me real strong doubts if that carb would ever work again. After 2 months I figured that maybe I ought to do something with it. After all I've got $10.00 invested in what might be the rebuilding kit for it. I gathered up all the parts and the kit and took the to a rebuilding shop. They thought their cleaner would take care of the residue. I told them if it cleaned up enough to rebuild then put it back together for me (because I've probably forgot how). Got it back Monday, $70.00. Was all set to put it back on, the manifold gaskets that came with the kit were not right (I hope the rest of the kit was right). Went looking for gaskets, the parts store is open til 7:00 PM. They don't have them in their stock but it shows in the warehouse stock but the warehouse closes at 5:00 PM. But they'll have them in town by 9:30 tomorrow. Walk the dog over town to get the gasket and the one they had was the gasket between the intake and exhaust manifolds for the heat riser. New parts man says that it would be 5 days to order them but the he see's that they show a manifold gasket set in stock at the warehouse and maybe they can rob the gaskets I need out of the set. It will be an hour before there's another trip from the warehouse though. So I walk the dog home and drive back to find that there's no carburetor base gaskets in an exhaust manifold set. So I go to NAPA (the ones that furnished the kit with the wrong gaskets).They're $3.20 a piece but they don't have them but they can have them here tomorrow. This morning I walked the other dog (for luck?) over town to get the two gaskets. Walked the dog home. Went to noon mass to pray for success. Went grocery shoping so that there'd be food in the house for everyone that's coming to see the pond. Went to dinner and shopping with the wife. Came home and put the carb on (I remembered how to) and got it running. Going to church today must have helped, I never made sure the tranny was in PARK and with the "touch this wire to that terminal" safeties it would have gone out the back of the garage. While walking over town I saw an ad for the "Cruise In Car Show" that they have up my block every year. For the last 2 years I've kidded myself about taking this up there. It's October 9. Maybe I'll just put it in the driveway and passers-by can hear it run. I thought all you people that weren't in Kalimazoo could use something to read. GPster

WZ JUNK

Stay with it Joe.  I am home painting this morning.  Getting ready to put the clear coat on a car I rebuilt for my son this week.  It is a 1999 Sable.  Not much fun but it had to be done.

I may go to cruise night tonight.  I hope everybody is having fun at the Zoo.  I want to go that show someday.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

rooster

Good deal Joe, that should take a little sweat out of a riseing river. Stay on it and get it to that show.

BTW: Greg got rid of engines and acc's.