Just an idea,for better mpg

Started by 48ford, September 03, 2005, 09:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

I have no data,and I don't think anyone has looked into it,but If we just waxed our evertday beater,wouldn't you pick up a little as it would be less drag on the surface of the car or truck?
sounds to simple to me.
Russ&Irene

phat46

Quote from: "48ford"I have no data,and I don't think anyone has looked into it,but If we just waxed our evertday beater,wouldn't you pick up a little as it would be less drag on the surface of the car or truck?
sounds to simple to me.
Russ&Irene

mine's already waxed, still must drag a lot... :lol: I now leave my milage indicator on in the overhead trip computer thingy and watch my milage; it seems that the stop and go driving really lowers your milage. I get 2 MPG while gently accelerating from a stop, I can get 19 mpg at 35 mph. I timed the traffic lights on the way to my job so that I can keep rolling all the way, now if i could only teach everyone else on the road to do the same so i never have to stop... :roll:

purplepickup

Quote from: "phat46"I timed the traffic lights on the way to my job so that I can keep rolling all the way, now if i could only teach everyone else on the road to do the same so i never have to stop... :roll:
I've been doing that too and sometimes I'm just rolling at a slow speed waiting for the next light to change.  At times that really ticks off the people behind me.  They pass me in a big huff, sometimes giving me the middle finger salute, but then I roll thru the next traffic light just as they are taking off after waiting for the light to change.  

It sort of helps that I drive a beige Buick LeSabre, have gray hair, and wear trifocals.  I think a lot of people just expect us old farts in Buicks to drive pokey.  Hey I got 25+ mpg on my last tank full with partial city driving. :D
George

Dave

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "phat46"I timed the traffic lights on the way to my job so that I can keep rolling all the way, now if i could only teach everyone else on the road to do the same so i never have to stop... :roll:
I've been doing that too and sometimes I'm just rolling at a slow speed waiting for the next light to change.  At times that really ticks off the people behind me.  They pass me in a big huff, sometimes giving me the middle finger salute, but then I roll thru the next traffic light just as they are taking off after waiting for the light to change.  

It sort of helps that I drive a beige Buick LeSabre, have gray hair, and wear trifocals.  I think a lot of people just expect us old farts in Buicks to drive pokey.  Hey I got 25+ mpg on my last tank full with partial city driving. :D

I aint got none of them thinghy for milage sos I jus ben drivn slo. :lol:
Getting 19 plus and making the speed freaks mad 8)
I just went for gas for the truck mower and the cycle. Found it in michigan center for 2.99 for regular where just up the street it was 3.28
Rather than fool around cause the bike takes midgrade i filled up everything with midgrade for 3.09. Only 54 bucks :cry:
Actually i was kinda tickled it was so cheap. Then I went to Menards and bought a new rake. Looks like yard work for a couple days. That will save gas :wink:
I see the weather says 80 for monday so im gonna take the bike out for a while. Not to many days left here for nice riding. Im planning my annual ride to kzoo on the thursday fore the show to register too. Last year was a blast and some good riding. Hope the weather works out for us all .
Dave

Bob Paulin

Quote from: "48ford"I have no data,and I don't think anyone has looked into it,but If we just waxed our evertday beater,wouldn't you pick up a little as it would be less drag on the surface of the car or truck?
sounds to simple to me.
Russ&Irene

Actually, there is a "boundary layer"of air running right next to the surface that is deeper than any layer of wax.

The boundary layer is a turbulent area that serves as a sort of ball-bearing layer upon which the air flows over the surface.

Without going to the books, IIRC, the boundary layer observed in wind-tunnel testing is about 1/8 to 1/4-inch.

I have even seen technological argument that the rough surface such as primer generates a more active boundary layer than a glass-smooth finish - thus supporting and enabling smoother air flow over any surface.

The only thing you can do in an aerodynamic sense is to smooth any pieces that are sticking out from the surface, and narrowing your frontal presentation to the air.

Back in the '70s - before so many different body templates had been developed - many NASCAR Cup teams would meticously narrow grilles, headlight doors, the leading edge of front fenders etc. fractions of an inch each, effectively making the front of the car a few inches narrower than stock.

B.P.
"Cheating only means you really care about winning" - Red Green

47wood

Most of us didn't get into roddin' to save gas ...but it seems a little less foot would make more difference than anything else.  Natually, you could do something more drastic like changing those gears down from 3.90, 3.70. etc., but at some point she stops being a rod and moves over to just another economical ride!   Cal  :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

tomslik

Quote from: "Bob Paulin"
sounds to simple to me.
Russ&Irene

Actually, there is a "boundary layer"of air running right next to the surface that is deeper than any layer of wax.

The boundary layer is a turbulent area that serves as a sort of ball-bearing layer upon which the air flows over the surface.

Without going to the books, IIRC, the boundary layer observed in wind-tunnel testing is about 1/8 to 1/4-inch.

I have even seen technological argument that the rough surface such as primer generates a more active boundary layer than a glass-smooth finish - thus supporting and enabling smoother air flow over any surface.

The only thing you can do in an aerodynamic sense is to smooth any pieces that are sticking out from the surface, and narrowing your frontal presentation to the air.

Back in the '70s - before so many different body templates had been developed - many NASCAR Cup teams would meticously narrow grilles, headlight doors, the leading edge of front fenders etc. fractions of an inch each, effectively making the front of the car a few inches narrower than stock.

B.P.

wasn't it smoky yunick that figgured out the golf ball effect worked well?
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Ohio Blue Tip

Ya, that's it, my new ride will be primer so as to save gas.  I know there was a reason. :lol:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

GPster

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"I have even seen technological argument that the rough surface such as primer generates a more active boundary layer than a glass-smooth finish - thus supporting and enabling smoother air flow over any surface.Ya, that's it, my new ride will be primer so as to save gas.  I know there was a reason. :lol:
I'm going one better than that. My paint job will have "brush strokes" in it to help me keep it on the road at speed. GPster

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "purplepickup"

It sort of helps that I drive a beige Buick LeSabre, have gray hair, and wear trifocals.  

Were you in Amarillo this morning?
coulda swore you matched the description of the driver
who pulled out in front of me :shock:
but then again, all you blue hairs look alike  :roll:  :lol:

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****