Another question about the computer handling bit.

Started by C9, September 06, 2005, 11:35:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

C9

First up, many thanks to Carps for taking the time to explain it so well in the recent post about computerized handling on late model cars.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's not too difficult to make a car switch ends and stay within the lane it's in.
Not to mention that more than a few have done it accidently.

I believe defensive driving schools - the ones that teach a bit more aggressiveness than do those teaching generally improved driver skills - teach students to do the switch ends bit using the E-brake.
(Which, in drum brake cars can lead to bent brake anchors.)

Aside from the E-brake bit, it's easy to load the front end with a hard application of the service brakes (foot pedal) and as the weight shifts to the front, turn the steering wheel left which loads the right front tire a little firmer than the left front tire.
The important thing is the left rear tire is almost completly unloaded and the car will swing 180 degrees and be at a stop if you do it right.

Whether you want to argue about doing it the second way or not is beside the point here.
Let's just assume the method works.

Would the computer disallow such a maneuver?

Or would more extreme driver inputs be required?
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

jaybee

That's a very interesting question.  I can't answer it, but will give my opinion in the interest of keeping the topic toward the top until someone with some expertise chimes in.  The computer can't tell if you're deliberately doing something extreme or are just stupid, so presumably it will step in to the greatest ability possible.  At the same time, eventually the laws of physics take over.  My guess is that if you put enough effort into the controls it will spin, but not nearly as easily.  In my mind that brings up another question.  Once you get the car broken loose, will the computer's efforts to regain what it considers to be control interfere with the driver's efforts to keep the car loose?  This gets to be an important question in situations like gravel roads and deep snow, where sometimes the 'desired' attitude and behavior of the car isn't quite the same as it is on pavement.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)