Computer question: Flat panel monitor by the numbers

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, September 02, 2005, 08:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

I've got  a regular monitor going bad , I want a flat panel to replace it.  15 -17 inch panel would be a good size.  Operating system is  Windoze XP on the PC

There are many numbers and types of screens.... LCD , TFT , screen refresh , dot size .... what the H**L does it all mean?

For the prices of some  flat panels by them selves I could almost buy another complete PC.....

A Co-worker tells me buy it off ebay...... I'd like to buy it locally since it is electronic parts
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

I'd recommend Newegg.com or Ecost.com. I've had real good service from both. You can buy a 19" lcd for less than a 17" a few months ago. If you're old enough to have eye problems, that would be my recommendation. I'd only buy one with a 3 year warranty. If you go to any retailer and look at the ones hooked up, I don't think you'll see a large difference. The real fine print has to do with power users such as those playing serious games that require 3d and fast refresh rates.
TEAM SMART

jaybee

I normally boost my refresh rate to at least 70 hertz.  Default is 60 and that is a little too much flicker for my eyes.  You don't strike me as a hard core gamer, really fast refresh rates aren't necessary unless you play a lot of fast action games.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

58 Yeoman

A couple months ago, I went to Staples and bought an Envision 17" crt (regular) monitor for around $120.  Works great for me.  It's flat screen, but still a crt, like your tv.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

I'm gonna go shopping and looking at the flat panel stuff.  

I see some monitors  listed as analog only.... what does that mean?

I do my best ( most) money spending on the weekends
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Bib_Overalls

Our monitor went bad a couple of months ago.  Wife went to Sam's and got a Samsung model 913 for about two thirds (or less) of what the computer store wanted for an off brand.

What I really like is the additional room for clutter on our desk to.  And before, the monitor was in my face.  It sets back a bit now and that is good for my old eyes.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

slocrow

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"What I really like is the additional room for clutter on our desk to.

Amen...........
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

kb426

Analog and DVI are the 2 styles of inputs. Analog is the standard monitor cable that we've used for about 10 years. DVI is a different cable that is higher quality output. Most generally, you will have to have a stand alone video card to have dvi. If your video is part of the motherboard, it will just have analog. In case you're interested, analog is referred to as"all points addressable" and dvi is"digital video interface".
TEAM SMART

Sean

I have a 19" ProView from Circuit City. The only problem I have with mine so far is three screwed up pixels. Not noticable most of the time, but if you are on a website that has a Dark background color, you can see them. One red, one green, and one blue...

From what I understand, this is a problem shared (to an extent) by all LCD screens.