Locking the converter in a 200R4

Started by av8, August 30, 2005, 11:01:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

av8

Without benefit of am ECU, how does one lock up the converter in a 200R4 when it's in fourth gear?

TIA

Mike

1FATGMC

Quote from: "av8"Without benefit of am ECU, how does one lock up the converter in a 200R4 when it's in fourth gear?

TIA

Mike

Mike as far as I know what works for the 700R4 works for the 200R4.  When I put one in my '78 Buick I used the same wiring diagram as on my site to wire in a toggle switch to lock it in 4th.  I don't like this method as you can forget to turn the switch both on and off, but have been using it like this for over a year..

When I get caught up on things I'll install a kit from TCI that will lock and un-lock automatically going into and out of 4th like I have on 1FATGMC.  That is what I would recommend you do.  

c ya, Sum

700R4 Info

av8

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "av8"Without benefit of am ECU, how does one lock up the converter in a 200R4 when it's in fourth gear?

TIA

Mike

Mike as far as I know what works for the 700R4 works for the 200R4.  When I put one in my '78 Buick I used the same wiring diagram as on my site to wire in a toggle switch to lock it in 4th.  I don't like this method as you can forget to turn the switch both on and off, but have been using it like this for over a year..

When I get caught up on things I'll install a kit from TCI that will lock and un-lock automatically going into and out of 4th like I have on 1FATGMC.  That is what I would recommend you do.  

c ya, Sum

700R4 Info

Sum -- Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for.  For a budget-conscious pensioner,  the B&M kit is out of the question. I'm pretty good at checking indicator lights, so I think the three-way switch will work just fine for me. I'm considering adding a "reminder" panel of lights for my headlamp high-beams (the original light is too small), and my add-on directionals. This would be a good place to add a prominent indicator for converter lockup. (I'm also considering adding a couple of reminder labels in large type  . . . FLY ZIPPED? -- DENTURES IN?)

Again, thanks . . .

Mike

Crosley.In.AZ

this is an indicator of the false information out  'there"  about the need of a computer to lock up the converter clutch on these early trannys.

i ain't bad mouthing any ine here  just a simple fact I get email questions weekly about the need or not of a computer to lock a converter clutch up......

NOW, here  is the deal on a 200-4r tranny.  

SOME ( as in not all) valve bodies do NOT have a pressure port on them for a pressure switch to that receives pressure in OD .  In this port you would thread a self grounding switch to provide a ground for the lock up solenoid.

IF that is the case ( no port on the v-body) , a person then adds a pressure switch to a pressure port on the exterior of the tranny case.  Needs to be a switch designed to operate exposed ( no leaks)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)