Can Anyone Identify This Steering Box??

Started by Bib_Overalls, August 29, 2005, 09:55:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bib_Overalls

Tag says it is a 67 Mustang but that is not right.  Looks like a truck box but it is to big to be a F1.  Casting bears the "FoMoCo" logo.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Uncle Bob

Steve,
Have you tried punching the casting number or any of the other markings into a Google or Dog Pile search.  About half the time that yeilds an answer for me.
Luck occurs when preparation and opportunity meet.

Bib_Overalls

I ran the tag number and it came out 67 Mustang.  But it is not one of those.  In appearance it is closer to the F1 box I have on the shelf.  But smaller.  I'm thinking F100.  It came out of a channeled 32 Coupe that was rodded a long time ago.  I'll pout it up opn EBay once I know what it is.  Running the casting numbers is a good idea.  If that fails I will see what my good buddy, the counterman at NAPA, can find out.

Thanks
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

GPster

I look at that box and see a few clues but I could be wrong. Was the steering shaft torched off? I'm thinking by 1967 ( maybe a year or two earlier) most of Ford products where using a "rag joint" and collapsible steerin columns. The bolt pattern for the box-to-frame mount is nothing like the Falcon, Fairlane, Mustang, Maveric pattern. It looks like a truck box and the pittman arm makes me think for a drag link style steering. The twin eye beam axles where cross-steer so the only thing I could think is an early econoline ('62 - "66) or something with 4 wheel drive (til '79). I've been wrong before but someone usually someone will alert you and maybe have a better answer. GPster

Bib_Overalls

Econoline?  I should have thought of that.

From what I can tell the steering shaft was cut when the rod was built or more likely "upgraded"  Once the box was in the frame the steering was fed through the firewall and welded up.  Then, when the body was lifted off the frame it was cut again.  This old rod was, in some respects, well built.  The vent in the cowel and the roof insert were both filled with metal and lead was used as a filler.  Buy the time it got to it's most recent owner the chassis showd signs of at least three different rear suspension set ups; traverse spring, coils, and coil overs. There are two sizeable holes on the driver's side of the frame; one at the steering box location and one slioghtly ahead.  I suspect it has had several steering gears.  There was also evidence of at least three different motor mount set ups in addition to the flat head mounts on the front crossmember.  The rear crossmember was a stock Deuce unit but the front was from a later Ford vehicle and was about four inches wider than stock.  The K-member was cut back to stubs.  The car was running a SBC and TH-400.  With no center structure the frame flexed a lot.  I * for the rails and, while they are salvageable, they are full of holes and will require a lot of patching.  When the body was channeled it was welded to the frame.  And when it was tourched off the fram wasa damaged.  My guess is the old Deuce was Rodded in the 50s.  Most likely on the easat coast. For its time it was a well built car.  But over the years it has had a succession of owners and suffered from a lot of well intentioned but poorly executed upgrades.  

The good news is that this old 5 window is being rebuilt by people who know what they are doing.  New chassis.  And the body is getting a new floor and patch pannels where needed.  It is going to be an outstanding traditional style highboy when it is finished. I'm out of town.  When I get home I'll post pictures if anyone is interested.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks