Best "Inflate -a -spare!

Started by Topsterguy, August 11, 2005, 12:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

Okay, I know a LOT of guys don't carry spares, including me, and carry inflate - a - spare................or a few of them!  So what's the best and most reliable ones out there? I've never had to use one so I don't even know if they work!! I don't doubt if a LOT of guys wonder the same thing!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

parklane

Don't know what brand is the best, but it does work on punctures - not cuts. Also get ready for an earful from the guy who has to do a permanent repair on the tire. The inside looks like about 100 people blew their noses in there. NOT PLEASANT!!  Take it from a person that has fixed one.

John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

Topsterguy

Quote from: "parklane"Don't know what brand is the best, but it does work on punctures - not cuts. Also get ready for an earful from the guy who has to do a permanent repair on the tire. The inside looks like about 100 people blew their noses in there. NOT PLEASANT!!  Take it from a person that has fixed one.

John

Heh Heh Heh!  John, Y'got a way with words! Tooooooo much information!!! Yeah, I heard it gets ugly in there, but then when you're sitting on the side of the I-5 who cares what it looks like or how much yelling you're going to get thrown at you! :wink:
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

BFS57

Hello;
I have had some experience with this stuff! Got mine from Pep Boys.
Believe it or not, the hole in my tire was so big the stuff came squirting out of it as I used the can but somehow or another, it worked good enough to let me drive a couple miles to an off ramp and another tire as the one I used it in wasn't any good  anymore!
Bruce

Sean

I have had good luck with Fix-a-Flat brand in the past. I have used it on several different occasions, and never even bothered to get the tires patched afterwards. I never had anything begger than a nail or screw though, so I don't know how well it would work on anything bigger.

The only time I can think of that it failed to work for me was in the rain. I came out from work and found my tire flat in pouring down rain. I filled it with fix-a-flat, then took off down the road. By the time I got home the tire was nearly flat again. I figured the water on the road must have kept the stuff from setting up like its supposed too, so I waited until the next day when it was dry and tried it again. Worked fine that time.

Make it easy on yourself and get a can with the hose on it. The cans that just have the hard plastic tube poking out the top that are meant to screw directly onto the valve stem are a pain in the butt to get on sometimes. They also require that the valvestem be in the 6:00 position. If you get a can with a hose, it doesn't make any difference what position the valve stem is at.