Edelbrock carb 'leaking' from secondaries.

Started by Brootal, September 05, 2005, 08:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brootal

Went for a bit of drive past the beach this morning as the sun came out (and I wanted to see how the metalflake looked in the sun), and on the way home the car konked out (broke down).

Popped the hood and whadday know, no fuel. Luckily it stopped right in front of a service station. Weird thing is, the fuel gauge said there was quarter of a tank when I left home and I had only gone a kilometre or so!

I put some fuel in and then turned on the fuel pump and had a look down the carby. Fuel was dripping in the rear barrels (which probably explains why it's a bit hard to start after I've been driving a while).

I've got a fuel regulator and a pressure gauge, so I can tell the fuel pressure is about 5psi. Is that too high?

I also notice that when the car is running (idling), the fuel pressure rises to around 5psi then drops to 2-3psi. Is that normal?

The carb also has quite a bit of carbon build up already, so I imagine it's running a little rich.

Any tips?
Yes it is Grandad\'s Old Rambler!

//www.the-rumbler.com

enjenjo

With the engine off, you may get some leakage on a hot engine. Once it is running, it should stop leaking.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Brootal

Quote from: "enjenjo"With the engine off, you may get some leakage on a hot engine. Once it is running, it should stop leaking.

Yeah? Why's that?

This was pouring quite a bit in, but you're right. Once I started the engine up it seemed fine.

Could this cause it to flood a little though and make it harder to start. I've got an electric pump, so do you think I should start the engine without the pump running and then turn it on?

I'm also a bit concerned about the fact I ran out of petrol. I must have a leak somewhere, but I can't really see or smell anything.
Yes it is Grandad\'s Old Rambler!

//www.the-rumbler.com

enjenjo

With the engine off, engine hot, any fuel in the bowls will expand,and push out of the bleed holes.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

C9

I've heard recently that some Edelbrock carbs are coming through with mis-adjusted floats.

My own experience with them is that they're pretty close to right on the money so perhaps that was an isolated incident.

Two things I'd look at as far as your fuel pressure goes:

Is your fuel pump close to a heat source?
That can drag the pressure down if the pump gets hot.

Other thing and that's probably what's going on, how much voltage do you have at the pump?

I ended up with about 11.2 volts on the Holley pump at the rear of the car.
More than likely that's what helped one pump to burn out.   (Voltage checked while the engine was not runing)

Low voltage at the pump was due to the long wiring run.
Power went from a 12.2 volt bus under the seat on the drivers side, to a fuse, to an oil pressure safety switch on the passenger side of the car, to the ignition switch, back under the seat, into a terminal block and out to another fuse and finally down to the pump a couple of feet away and under the body.

16 gage wire was used which was a mistake due to the long run.

I got a constant duty solenoid, ran a 10 gage power feed to that from a terminal block under the seat near the battery's positive cable.
That was controlled with the long run of wire that originally went to the pump.
Ended up with 12.2 volts at the pump - engine off.

Pump sounds like it's running stronger and feels cool to the touch.

Pressures at a steady 4.5# due to the regulator.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.