External to Internal regulated alternator

Started by sirstude, August 04, 2005, 02:59:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

Someone posted a diagram on how to convert from an external regulated alternator to an internal regulated alternator for GM, that I don't seem to be able to find.  I would like to get rid of the old stuff on my 65 Impala and upgrade but never have been able to really figure out the wiring.  I must have to jump at least some of the wires going to the regulator, and what hooks to the alternator (not a 1 wire)?

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

1FATGMC

Quote from: "sirstude"Someone posted a diagram on how to convert from an external regulated alternator to an internal regulated alternator for GM, that I don't seem to be able to find.  I would like to get rid of the old stuff on my 65 Impala and upgrade but never have been able to really figure out the wiring.  I must have to jump at least some of the wires going to the regulator, and what hooks to the alternator (not a 1 wire)?

Doug

You can convert the 3 wire to the 1 wire by using a self-energizing voltage regulator from a one wire and putting it in the 3 wire.  I've done it.  Most parts houses don't stock these, so after a bad experience myself, I recommend carrying a spare.  They are cheap.

I have more on my site ( HERE )  .

The one wire does only have one wire going from it to your main panel.

I was sorry to here you weren't going to be at Speed Week  :( .  We will get you a tape of the Stude's efforts.  We plan on having 2 inboard cameras this year, which should give a better picture down the course and also of Hooley, since they won't have to deal with two different light references.  We also hope to have 2 other cameras.  One down track and another at the starting line.

c ya, Sum

sirstude

Sum,

I am as dissapointed as can be, but that is my job sometimes.  I know on the internal to one wire, but not from the old external regulated setup.  Don't know what wires to connect together at the core support where the regulator is.

Thanks
Doug

ps.
do good on the salt!  Say hi to the "stay in school" guys from Montana, if you see them.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

sirstude

1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

www.theicebreaker.us