Add this to the list of dumb things I've done.

Started by GPster, July 22, 2005, 09:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

When I got the truck (?) engine running after the flood, it became obvious that the carb needed some work. By Purple Pick Up's suggestion that it might be the accelerater pump I planned the job and by the fact that it stalled if you put the tranny (powerglide) in gear now that the wheels are back on the ground. The fact that it probably hasn't had any attention since '91 when the previous owner put it under the tree made the decission easier. Got a kit and pulled the carb. Got the parts washer and bio-degradeable cleaner out that my wife gave me years ago. Mixed the cleaner per the directions, 1 part cleaner to 5 parts water. Started with 1 qt. to 5 qts. but that didn't put enough in the cleaner to cover the pump suction so I doubled the amount. Pump suction was covered this time but when I started the pump there was no circulation. Read the cleaners directions now. TO BE USED WITH PETROLEUM BASED SOLVENTS You would think that a company that sells these cleaners and these water based cleaners would not put them on the same page in the catalog. Also when they;re taking a phone order from a woman for only these two items they might mention that they don't work together. Anyway this was the only clean container that I had to wash the carb in and this was the only type of cleaner that I had. I had had enough happen this day that it was time to quit and it certainly wouldn't hurt to let that carb soak for a while. Spring foreward about a month and a half. Today on one of my work benches I find a piece of paper that "low and behold" is the instructions that came with the carb kit. That thing has been soaking this long. I found out why the parts cleaner was only for petrolium based solvents. Not only does it not want to pump anything else but something else could lift the rubberized coating off the inside of the tank. That de-gradable cleaner also seems like it might degrade "white metal" if give enough time. The carb is now soaking in kerosine so I can pass judgment on it when I'm in a better mood. Keep me in mind while you're at Kalemazoo (sp) . Carb for a '53 chevy 235 six with powerglide. I know it's a long letter but I thought you neede entertained. GPster

river1

hey joe,

will a carb from a 53 chevy 235 w manual tranny work? if so PM your snail mail (i can't find it tho i know it is here somewhere) and it'll be on it's way to you.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

rooster

Jr's got one off a 216 if you want it, you can have the rest of the engine too! Its a Carter Carb.

GPster

Quote from: "river1"will a carb from a 53 chevy 235 w manual tranny work? if so PM your snail mail, jim
My first concern was for the "kick-down" linkage. But checking today it's probably not a problem.There is only the one rod going to the carb and the kick-down hooks to the bellcrank that the gas pedal does. According to the motors manual there were 3 horse power ratings for the 235s in '53. The highest being the Vette with 2 carbs (?) then the powerglide models with a little more compression (?) and the lowest being the ones installed with standard transmissions (?). Shouldn't be anything different about the carbs on the bottom end but maybe jets and I can make that right if need be. I thought you were going to kepp yours a running engine? We keep this up and there will be more of this Arizona car in Ohio than at home. The address is Joe Veraldo, 211 Gilman Avenue, Marietta, Ohio 45750. I was going to say bring it to Bonneville but it would probably be hard for me to explain as carry-on luggage on the plane. Hang on to it for a little while. Offers to help have lifted my spirits and the prospects don't seem so bleek today. I'll keep the offer in mind. Thanks, GPster

GPster

Quote from: "rooster"Jr's got one off a 216 if you want it. Its a Carter Carb.
The Carter on mine is spelt R O C H E S T E R . I can still read the name in the casting so maybe there is still some life left in that carb. I'm sure there are other things that junior needs to be trading that 216 for. GPster

purplepickup

Quote from: "GPster"By Purple Pick Up's suggestion that it might be the accelerater pump I planned the job.........
GPster
That's another thing to add to the list of dumb things you've done....  :shock:
George

Bruce Dorsi

Reading your saga, Joe, I was reminded of an incident from my past.

Many years ago in our lawnmower shop, we would encounter many gummed-up carbs from stale gas.  ....We always looked for a fast, efficient, and effective way to clean them.

One employee came in with a box of crystals sold by Red Devil, which would clean dried paint from paint brushes, and restore them to near-new condition.   ....The crystals were dissolved in hot/warm water for use, and the brushes were immersed in the solution for awhile.

We thought it would be worth a try on a carb to see if it would be an effective cleaner.

I put a carb in the solution for about an hour with no result, so I left it to soak overnight.

Next morning, after a water rinse, the carb was amazingly clean!  ....However, when I began to assemble the carb, the threaded brass jet just dropped into its position!  

The Red Devil Brush Cleaner did an amazing job of chemically "machining" all surfaces, and enlarging holes that shouldn't be enlarged!
      :oops:

So, the moral of this story is to be careful what you put your "thingies" in! :roll:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

GPster

Add this to the quandry. I removed the carb parts from that water-based cleaner and let them soak a couple of days in kerosine. Tryed to clean them again and set them out to dry. Now they are all covered with a white, powdery coating and if it happens on the surface there's no telling what will happen in the galleries and hidden passages. I don't want to waste the kit on this one. So river, I'll take you up on your offer. Joe Veraldo   211 Gilman Ave.    Marietta,Ohio 45750  . To make this seem like an even better idea. I've done some lurking around and a carb shown on a '54 235 is differant than mine. When I got this car the fuel line had been cut and spliced and at first I thought it was only for the installation of an in-line filter. When I found missing gaskets on removing the carb I was sure the carb has been off before. Now looking at the differance in fuel line entry place with a '54 and the jury-rigging of the fuel line, I wonder if it was the right carb anyway. The carb off of your '53 might be one more piece of your's that will make mine closer to "Right". GPster

Mr Cool

This reminds me of a carby rebuild that my Dad did quite a few years back. No it wasnt me, really, I was too young to drive back then let alone rebuild a carby, however after he rebuilt the carb and replaced it with a home-made gasket the bloody thing wouldnt start.
Checked for spark, fuel, compression (getting desperate now) and still no joy.
So we tried to tow-start the thing because the battery was now flat ( I was only 16 and didnt even have a license to drive).
About 10 miles later we got back home with dad getting real angry.
He ripped the carby off and there was the problem, no hole in his home-made gasket. No air/fuel going into the inlet manifold.   :oops:  :oops:  :oops:
There goes almost a full day of frustration.....
Looking back I can laugh about it, but at the time there was alot of new words being made up.
Im nobody, right?
And dont forget, nobody\'s perfect.