Aaargghh, A question for Crosley

Started by entodad, July 23, 2005, 10:39:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

entodad

As usual, if everything is going right, you must be doing something wrong!
The 4L60e I just finished rebuilding and installing into my wife's blazer has no reverse  :cry:
I can feel the reverse make a slight engagement action when the lever is put into rev. but there is not enough engagement to allow any power to be applied.  All of the forward gears work well, good shifts, coverter locks properly, but no reverse
The ASTG book lists a lot of possibilities, but most are discourging since I will have to tear it down again.  This tranny is a real PITA to pull and stab.

Any suggestions of where to look first?  I know this is not a lot of info
I would think that maybe one of the valve body valve was stuck, but wouldn't that affect operation elsewhere as well?

Any Suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Doug  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:
WaChiss......(famous last hillbilly word)

Crosley.In.AZ

:  All forward gears work ....... as you post

Do this : drive the vehicle in manual first gear.  Do you have engine braking when you let up on the gas pedal?

Or does the vehicle act like something is binding up in manual first gear?  Does not want to move forward easily in manual first?

Accelerate it up and make sure the engine braking is good / holding in manual first.

If the engine braking is good... the problem is with the reverse input clutch drum , sealing rings , clutch pack clearance

then remove the v-body &  check the locations of the check balls.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

entodad

OK,
Put the truck into manual first, maybe a little binding when engaged, but the engine overcomes it rather easily.
When I accelerate it up to check engine braking, the braking is mediocre at best.  It acts like it is in neutral until the truck slows to about 5 mph when the braking finally appears.
I tried accelerating the truck up to 25 mph and shifting to neutral and the feeling was the same as when I did this in first and just let off the gas.

Good or bad?
If I have to pull it, I pull it. It will just take me a week or so before I can get to it again.

Doug   :?

Quote from: "Crosley":  All forward gears work ....... as you post

Do this : drive the vehicle in manual first gear.  Do you have engine braking when you let up on the gas pedal?

Or does the vehicle act like something is binding up in manual first gear?  Does not want to move forward easily in manual first?

Accelerate it up and make sure the engine braking is good / holding in manual first.

If the engine braking is good... the problem is with the reverse input clutch drum , sealing rings , clutch pack clearance

then remove the v-body &  check the locations of the check balls.

Crosley.In.AZ

IF the vehicle acts like it is binding up in manual first gear ....... it should move forward on level ground at idle RPM in manual first.  Maybe only slightly , but it should roll forward.

If you drive say 25 mph, lift the foot off the gas pedal and then shift to  manual low gear... the engine braking should be obvious

The snap ring that retains the center support with the roller sprag/clutch in the very back of the tranny case may have popped out if you did not install it correctly. The very rear friction pack is the low / reverse pack. Only applies in reverse & manual low gears

If the snap ring is out of the groove.... the whole assembly is pushed forward as the L/R clutch aplies....this jams up the works. THe engine can over come this , but the parts are chewed up.

Or you may have too much clearance in the L/R pack

This is the best guess I can offer from here since I cannot test drive the vehicle myself.  8)
Tony

entodad

If I put the low/reverse sprag in backwards (I replaced it) :oops:
would that make it have no reverse like I have stated?
I have been thinking about where I may have messed up and that struck me as being a possibility.
Thanks again
Doug

Crosley.In.AZ

nope.

that roller clutch does nothing for reverse .

You said the vehicle drives fine in forward gears.... if the roller clutch was in backwards the vehicle would not move forward in OD or D........

Quote from: "entodad"If I put the low/reverse sprag in backwards (I replaced it) :oops:
would that make it have no reverse like I have stated?
I have been thinking about where I may have messed up and that struck me as being a possibility.
Thanks again
Doug
Tony