Chevy's 49-54 Upgrading raditor

Started by rooster, July 28, 2005, 11:08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

I know the orignal radiator will work, others are using them. Greg has a auto trans and needs to cool that also. Looking for whats the best swap to use for a 350, T-350 setup. I think this has been brought up before but I cant find the post.

enjenjo

The closest fit in a stock radiator with a trans cooler in it is a 55 to 57 Chevy radiator. It's a near bolt in. Another is a 64 to 70 Chevy Van radiator.  And 1980 or so Dodge van with a six and AC.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

I think I'd look for a recommendation on an air cooled cooler and just go that way. The stock cooler on these early chevys that had automatic transmission was a separate piece that was in between the lower radiator outlet and the water pump inlet. If you could find one it might be a solution but they mount to the motor so you'd be looking at making mounting brackets plus running lines. The money your son saves (he's paying for this?) by using his old radiator might be used towards an air-cooled cooler. GPster

rooster

The first place I went had no Chevys that old , 1 dodge van 6 cyc (9 Passenger) 35 excange! The 2ed place no chevys that old, I started looking at some Ford vans and found a 85 6 cyc w/ac that looks promising, both hoses on right, looks like I could take support with it. 45 no exchange! didn't have time for the dodge's, maybe tommoro.

Ill watch for a add on cooler, but I don't know how well they work.

u-wrench-it in St Louis is now Picknpull! Maybe they will have a grand opening soon. I got a little side tracked looking for a starter thats a different size than what we now have, to clear exhaust. (no luck)