37 Ford Cabriolet vs Roadster Question

Started by 40, March 15, 2004, 03:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I am looking at a 37 convertible....Trying to determine if it's a Roadster or Cabriolet.My recollection is that the roadsters had the snap-on side curtains and the depth of the door was considerably less than the cabriolet do to the fact that there was no regulator installed.I seem to recall there were other differances in the doors as well????The car in question,has the snaps on the top for the side curtains but has doors similar in depth to a coupe and it appears that at some point,years ago,there was a cap fabricated to cover the opening....if so,it was done nicely and is hard to detect.I would like to pop the door panel off and have a look......Any thoughts,opinions on which it is??Any other tell-tale signs to look for??Thanks!!
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

Pep

Quote from: "40"I am looking at a 37 convertible....Trying to determine if it's a Roadster or Cabriolet.My recollection is that the roadsters had the snap-on side curtains and the depth of the door was considerably less than the cabriolet do to the fact that there was no regulator installed.I seem to recall there were other differances in the doors as well????The car in question,has the snaps on the top for the side curtains but has doors similar in depth to a coupe and it appears that at some point,years ago,there was a cap fabricated to cover the opening....if so,it was done nicely and is hard to detect.I would like to pop the door panel off and have a look......Any thoughts,opinions on which it is??Any other tell-tale signs to look for??Thanks!!

This is a very contentious point. I've had debates with guys over there whether they did in fact build 37 roadsters in the US. I have a picture of a supposidly  US version on my web site. They were also mentioned in the Encyclopedia of American Cars that there were 1250 produced. So what this all means is I'm really interested in what you are looking at...pictures would be great. So what tell tales signs to look for. This is assuming they are the same as the Aussie roadsters.
1. Roadster....The hood irons only anchor at one point on each side and they fold into the passenger compartment. Cabriolet...the hood irons anchor on two points and fold away into a recess in the side trim panel.
2. The top of the doors are slightly narrower at the top on roadsters. There is still provision for window regulators but obviously they don't need them. They are solid on top ( no window channel ). That may be unique to the Aussie models.. Cabriolets are the same width as the top of the "B" pillar and have a window slot.
3. Roadsters...There are two holes on top of the doors for window curtains to drop into. There are also clips to attach straps so they don't blow off.

Apart from that, they are identical....If possible, can you send me the pics for my records....much appreciated.
See Ya
Pep

Al,The only photos I have are ones sent to me by a buddy that has seen the car....I have not actually seen it in person....just relaying bits of our conversation.I will forward the photos that I have to you....they are not very informative or of good quality/detail but they are what I have.If you see anything from the photos that is helpfull in determining which it is....shoot me an e-mail.Thanks!

Al,It looks like I can send you a personal e-mail thru the RRT....don't see a way to attach anything though.Send me an e-mail   PepperTaker@aol.com  and I'll get them off to you.

parklane

The problem is, the person with the most toys still dies, wether he wins or not!
John   :(  :(
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

Bruce Dorsi

Quote from: "Pep"This is a very contentious point. I've had debates with guys over there whether they did in fact build 37 roadsters in the US.

There has been an advertisement running in some magazines for a specialty car insurance company showing Bob Young's street-rodded '37 Roadster.

Alongside the pic of the car is a statement saying it is one of only TWELVE '37 Roadsters known to exist today.

Pep, do you have any idea how many Aussie Roadsters were produced that year?

I vaguely remember the discussions about your roadster, a few years back on the old RRT.  ....I seem to think some people said they did not exist, and doubted that yours was genuine.  .....'Ya got a rare piece!
:b-d:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

Pep

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"
Quote from: "Pep"This is a very contentious point. I've had debates with guys over there whether they did in fact build 37 roadsters in the US.

There has been an advertisement running in some magazines for a specialty car insurance company showing Bob Young's street-rodded '37 Roadster.

Alongside the pic of the car is a statement saying it is one of only TWELVE '37 Roadsters known to exist today.

Pep, do you have any idea how many Aussie Roadsters were produced that year?

I vaguely remember the discussions about your roadster, a few years back on the old RRT.  ....I seem to think some people said they did not exist, and doubted that yours was genuine.  .....'Ya got a rare piece!
:b-d:

I recall reading an article as well Bruce. Don't know if its same car or not. It did not mention how many were still around. The reference book I went by stated 1250 in the US were originally built. I don't know the numbers here but I have seen 3 on the road . It's fairly easy to confirm a roadster over here cause it has "R" in the body number. The US versions don't distinguish model in the same way. The curious aspect is there are two models of Cabriolet. The plain old Cabriolet that has the business back with optional * seat or trunk. The other is referred to as a club Cabriolet which has a rear seat and a smaller trunk area and no * seat. The roadsters had the same back as the club Cabriolets....I must say now that this is just what we see over here. What  Daryle (40) appears to have is a cabriolet  but for some reason the windows have been discarded and the slots sealed up. It also has the Cabriolet back, not the club version. It also doesn't seem to have ever had wind wings which would be a sign its a roadster...Still, either way I'm open to clarification by anyone...Here is a link to the reference site I went by.

http://www.autogallery.org.ru/ford1937.htm
See Ya
Pep

Carps

None of the cars pictured on that web page appear to be roadsters, but hey even with the big screen I may be arong but to me they all seem to have the channell on the windscreen pillar for the roll up door glass.

Dunno if the number is right or wrong, but I have some pretty reliable data at home that might give a better indicator.

More later
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Pep

Quote from: "Carps"None of the cars pictured on that web page appear to be roadsters, but hey even with the big screen I may be arong but to me they all seem to have the channell on the windscreen pillar for the roll up door glass.

Dunno if the number is right or wrong, but I have some pretty reliable data at home that might give a better indicator.

More later

If you hover over the very last picture it will print up as a roadster. I have a gut feeling the US versions may have been different to ours. Carps, any data you can dig up would be appreciated.....I would love to get the definitive answers on the US models as well.
See Ya
Pep