Best way to strip old paint off rims?

Started by Normspeed, July 13, 2005, 01:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Normspeed

I picked up 5 used stock rims for my wagon and I'm wondering, what's the best way to get 'em down to bare metal, chemical stripper or blasting?
Over the years they got painted a strange copper color.
Norm

rumrumm

If they were mine, I would have them blasted. You could also have them chemically dipped, but it takes longer and I think it is more expensive. It will also take off the rust. I would compare prices and the expense of travel to the facility and see what you are willing to pay.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

kb426

Take them to your machine shop and throw them in the engine vat. Depending on what chemical they use, in a few minutes or a day, the paint will be gone.
TEAM SMART

Ed ke6bnl

Quote from: "kb426"Take them to your machine shop and throw them in the engine vat. Depending on what chemical they use, in a few minutes or a day, the paint will be gone.

I got the clear coat off my aluminum beat up rims with jasco paint stripper and it just fell off and cheap.  the heated lye tank will do it great as long as they are not aluminum Ed
1948 F3, parts
1950 F1 SteetRod,
1949 F1 V8 flathead stocker
1948 F6 V8 SBC,
1953 Chevy 3100 AD pu future project& 85 s10 longbed for chassis
1972 Chopped El Camino daily driver
1968 Mustang Coupe
1998.5 Dodge 4x4 cummins 4door, 35"bfg,

av8

Quote from: "Normspeed"I picked up 5 used stock rims for my wagon and I'm wondering, what's the best way to get 'em down to bare metal, chemical stripper or blasting?
Over the years they got painted a strange copper color.
Norm

My first choice is bead blasting which will remove rust as well as old paint and primer.

Chemical stripping is a bit iffy on two-piece wheels (assuming they are) because it's difficult to remove all traces of chemical from the spider-to-hoop joints.

Mike

HotRodLadyCrusr

I sand blasted my wheels.  Each wheel took about 20 minutes and a total of about $5.00 worth of sand for all 4 wheels.  The layers of paint and rust came off very easy.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Normspeed

Wow, lots of food for thought. I heard once that blasting could make sheet metal brittle. Anyone know about hubcap spring clips getting blasted?

HotRodLadyCrusr

At the same time I did my wheels I did all my convert top bows, my dash and lots of other pieces, 360 pounds of sand to be exact, thats how much stuff I did.  Nothing warped, nothing got hot at all.

I'll probley be doing my inside trim pieces this weekend, like garnish moldings, windshield trim, etc.  Bring your pieces over and I'll do them too!  :wink:
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Ohio Blue Tip

I'll probley be doing my inside trim pieces this weekend, like garnish moldings, windshield trim, etc.  Bring your pieces over and I'll do them too!  :wink:[/quote]

WHAT A WOMAN !!!!  Offering to do your sand blasting for ya.   8)
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

Normspeed