Hey, Fat Cat - Rude Words

Started by choco, February 17, 2004, 08:38:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

I can convert from fractions to decimal in my head, but I just never cared anything about Metric. Bullheaded American, I guess....

Brootal

Quote from: "Jbird"The things I like about using the metric system are the lack of fractions and the base 10 number system, just like money.

Yeah. That's one thing that always confused me. How people could say metric confused them when they understood fractions and the old currency system in Australia (Pre-66) that involved pounds, shillings and pence.
Yes it is Grandad\'s Old Rambler!

//www.the-rumbler.com

OlBuzzard

Many years ago I was teaching 5th grade and an old fellow came up to me one day and said something like, "I just don't understand this metric stuff.  I just like inches and pounds and stuff like that."  I asked him if he'd ever been in England and he replied that he had in WWII.  I asked him what he thought about their system of money.  He just about lost his cool when he remembered how confusing that was.  I told him that our system of measurement was just like that old system of money.  He said, "I never thought of that."  Well, that was one convert!  

I do woodworking now and it sure would be hard for me to convert to metric.  Oh, well, a miss is as good as a kilometer!

Sean

Quote from: "Brootal"
Yeah. That's one thing that always confused me. How people could say metric confused them when they understood fractions and the old currency system in Australia (Pre-66) that involved pounds, shillings and pence.

Probably because Metric is so simple it just doesn't seem right. I have been a fabricator using fractions and decimals all day, everyday, for about 15 years now. If I suddenly had to convert to Metric, I would be 100% confused, no matter how easy it is.

Carps

Quote from: "Crosley"SO I am guessing a basic baseball bat would be used to get your attention? Rather than a 5 meter pole?

Well of course you'd use the baseball bat, otherwise there's a very real risk you'd break the glass in the gauges (meters) mounted to the pole.

Why you would mount gauges to a pole is a whole other question.    :?  :?
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

Carps

Quote from: "Jbird"The things I like about using the metric system are the lack of fractions and the base 10 number system, just like money.

HUH?  :?

I was always taught that 2.5 metres is half of 5 mtres.  

Or how about 0.25cm isn't that a quarter of a centimetre?

Are not quarters and halves, fractions of one?   :?  :?
Carps

Pep

And when there is something that needs to be defined to the exact size, nothing does it better than the Aussie definition of the smallest measurement possible...that is   half the width of a spider's ****...( just thought I'd get the thread back on track :lol: )
See Ya
Pep

Rayvyn

Quote from: "Pep"

And when there is something that needs to be defined to the exact size, nothing does it better than the Aussie definition of the smallest measurement possible...that is   half the width of a spider's ****...( just thought I'd get the thread back on track :lol: )

And the second smallest would be Carps at full attention while reading a Penthouse... :shock:  :oops:  :( ....... :D  :D  :D
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Carps

Quote from: "Pep"And when there is something that needs to be defined to the exact size, nothing does it better than the Aussie definition of the smallest measurement possible...that is   half the width of a spider's ****...( just thought I'd get the thread back on track :lol: )

But a "poofteenth" is less than a quarter the width of a money-spider's willy!   :wink:
Carps

Carps

Quote from: "Rayvyn"And the second smallest would be Carps at full attention while reading a Penthouse... :shock:  :oops:  :( ....... :D  :D  :D

May have that effect on you my old buddy, but I think you have most likely got me confused with your pal, "Dolly's (alleged) Boyfriend".   :wink:
Carps

Smokin Joe

Haven't had this much fun since George Carlin was on the Johnny Carson Show talking about the 7 dirty words you couldn't say on television. I think I heard about 6 of them the last time I watched MTV.

Next time you guys think your kid would be more interested in a forum with no swearing, take a look at her music collection. The stuff she doesn't play when you're around! :lol:

Three pages on this, Amazing!
Even sucked me in.

Carps

You mean there's worse language than the stuff she plays at home?   :shock:
Carps

Pep

Quote from: "Carps"
Quote from: "Pep"And when there is something that needs to be defined to the exact size, nothing does it better than the Aussie definition of the smallest measurement possible...that is   half the width of a spider's ****...( just thought I'd get the thread back on track :lol: )

But a "poofteenth" is less than a quarter the width of a money-spider's willy!   :wink:

I think your confused with the imperial poofteenth mate...also the last money spider I saw crawling up a wall was hung like a funnel web. So we now have to be more specific with our statements...all spiders are not hung alike.
See Ya
Pep

parklane

You people in the good old USA think you have it bad converting to metric, try living here in Canada. We always get better gas mileage because our gallons are bigger than yours. You have 3.78 litres in a gallon while we have 4.54 litres. When I read an article involving liquid measure, and it's in pins, quarts, or gallons, I have to try and find if it's Canadian or US measure.     :?  :?     Are we having fun yet?

John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

autocol

Quote from: "Fat Cat"Sue pokes him with a 5 meter pole.

if i may be picky... a METRE is slightly more than a yard. a METER is a device  that measures somtthing. like a water meter, or a speedometer.

but then again, you yanks spell LITRE the wrong way too, so maybe you don't have the same distinction...