Took out the PowerTrax unit

Started by sirstude, July 12, 2005, 09:38:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sirstude

Hi all,

I put one of those PowerTrax locker units in my Impala last year.  It does just what they say, and locks the rear under power really well,  Did a couple of great burnouts this year at our run.  The down side is that it is a locker and not a posi.  When I am driving down all the curvy mountain roads here it is a pain.  If you hit the gas at all in a corner, it locks and trys to turn the car straight.  Not a big deal, just makes you work at driving it all the time.  The nice thing about it is you can swap it in or out in about an hour, so if I ever decide to race the car (a dream) I can put it back in.  Still debating about gears, I broke the 3:08s in there 2 years ago, and the only 12 bolt I could come up with around here is a 2:56.  The Richmond 5 speed has a really low 1st gear (3:33) and the 502 has LOTS of torque, but still a bit high geared.  Parades are tough on the clutch.  The 3:08s were almost too low for the car though.  Anyone know of someone who makes something like a 2:90 or so for a 12bolt Chevy rear?

Thanks
Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us