gauge regulator

Started by 48ford, June 28, 2005, 08:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

I have a set of electric gauges in the 46,that I want to keep the voltage at a constant 12 volts, my car is putting out around 13-14 volts and this may be why the gauges always read high.
ford used one for years but it dropped the voltage down to 5 volts,anyone have any ideas thanks Russ&Irene

model a vette

Radio Shack has voltage regulators that will hold the voltage to 12 volts. They are tiny, though so I don't know what current they will take.

A thought came to mind: cell phone "car adapters" are really voltage regulators. SOME phones use 12 volts so they might be the ticket for what you want to do. Sometimes you can get old car adapters as a closeout in discount stores so you won't have to pay much to try one.
Ed

flt-blk

14Volts charge from an alternator is normal.

I doubt 14 Volts is changing the accuracy of your gages,  
what specifically do you think is reading high?
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang

Skip

If you're using gauges out of a late model car, you probably want an IVR (instrument voltage regulator) as these instruments operate on, roughly, 6 volts and te IVR will drop the voltage supplied to the instruments.

If, however, you're using aftermarket gauges (Classic, S-W, Autometer, VDO, etc.) these are designed to be operated straight off battery voltage so no IVR is necessary.  In fact,if you do use one, they'll be WAY off.

FWIW, if your instruments are reading high and they're of the plastic case variety CHECK YOUR GRUNDS.  These instruments NEED TO BE ADEQUATELY GROUNDED or they'll read incorrectly, usually on the high side.
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

48ford

Quote from: "flt-blk"14Volts charge from an alternator is normal.

I doubt 14 Volts is changing the accuracy of your gages,  
what specifically do you think is reading high?
I have a set of gauges from dolphin insterments,
The water temp sets at 200,160 stat
oil sets at 60 dropping to 40 at idle
car has a 400 chevy in it
I think that the reading are a little high
Russ&Irene

flt-blk

Quote from: "48ford
I have a set of gauges from dolphin insterments,
The water temp sets at 200,160 stat
oil sets at 60 dropping to 40 at idle
car has a 400 chevy in it
I think that the reading are a little high
Russ&Irene[/quote

200 deg. and 40psi oil pressure sounds about right to me.

does your water temp fluxuate under different driving conditions?  I can
see when the thermostat opens, I get a drop in temp.  But 200 does not
seem out of line.

60 psi oil pressure is great, dropping 20# from RPM to idle is normal for
all motors, these don't seem out of line either.

I don't think you have anything to be nervous about.
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang

Skip

200 degrees with a 160 stat sounds like a Mallory distrributor with no vacuum advance or the vacuum advance on the wrong port on the carb.
Skip

Early Hemi SME

Skip

What's the exhaust note sound like?  Puckety, puckety puckety or is a smooth humm?
Skip

Early Hemi SME

48ford

Quote from: "Skip"What's the exhaust note sound like?  Puckety, puckety puckety or is a smooth humm?
Thanks for the reply Skip.
The car runs perfect,exhaust is smooth,it has the G.M. electronic dizzy with full vacume at idle.edelbrock 600 carb.
This puppy gets 18-19 MPG at 75mph(michigan)with overdrive.
not bad for a box.
Thanks Russ&Irene

Skip

Quote from: "48ford"
Quote from: "Skip"What's the exhaust note sound like?  Puckety, puckety puckety or is a smooth humm?
Thanks for the reply Skip.
The car runs perfect,exhaust is smooth,it has the G.M. electronic dizzy with full vacume at idle.edelbrock 600 carb.
This puppy gets 18-19 MPG at 75mph(michigan)with overdrive.
not bad for a box.
Thanks Russ&Irene

Vacuum advance hose on the driver's side of the carb?
Skip

Early Hemi SME

48ford

Vacuum advance hose on the driver's side of the carb?[/quote]
Yes the vacume hose is on the drivers side.
Russ&Irene

Skip

Quote from: "48ford"Vacuum advance hose on the driver's side of the carb?
Yes the vacume hose is on the drivers side.
Russ&Irene[/quote]

Where's the sender, in the intake or in the head?

The intake-mounted sender should read close to the t-stat rating if the engine's not overheating.

If the sender's in the head next to the exhaust port, it'll read CONSIDERABLY hotter than a similar sender in the intake next to the stat.
Skip

Early Hemi SME

48ford

Where's the sender, in the intake or in the head?

The intake-mounted sender should read close to the t-stat rating if the engine's not overheating.

If the sender's in the head next to the exhaust port, it'll read CONSIDERABLY hotter than a similar sender in the intake next to the stat.[/quote]
The sender is in the T-stat housing on top of the intake where the upper radiator hose is.
Russ

Skip

The belts are tight?  You have a good wrap around the water pump pulley?

sounds like it may be an airflow or inadequate radiator issue.

Is air getting around the radiator?   Obstructions in  front of the radiator?  Fan too low, not at the top of the rad?

40 degrees above the stat rating, measured at the stat, says there's a definite problem.

Does the temp go down when you're cruising at, roughly 45 mph?

Does it go up at idle and/or at high speed?
Skip

Early Hemi SME

48ford

Thanks for the help Skip,
but it realy is not running hot and i don't have 60# oil pressure. The gauges just read high.

Thanks Russ