I'm really pumped... I heard from Cen-Pen!!!

Started by My52Chebby, June 24, 2005, 05:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

My52Chebby

Hi gang,

I've been waiting for about 4 months for a brand new, modern design, 3" dropped axle for my '52 Chevy pickup. Last week I sent Cen-Pen another email and the OWNER got back to me this time. He told me he has a dealer order to fill and promised me I was next and should get my axle this month (email was dated the 15th) so I'm even closer to getting it.

I can hardly wait...

My52Chebby

jaybee

Sounds great.  He used to hang out around here.  Seems like a pretty decent guy.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

What is a "modern design" axle for that series chevy?
TEAM SMART

My52Chebby

... with flame (or plasma) cut spring pads that are computer controlled bent to the proper shape to fit the axle.

Go to this link to see them : http://www.cenpen.com/truckaxles.htm

I have to restrain myself because I drool all over my keyboard every time I look at that picture...  LOL

My52Chebby

Phat

You want one?  3 inches is way too much as you will be draging the axle.  Hope your a good fab guy because it aint a bolt in.  I got more drop by changing perches and sectioning my frame.(6 hours worth of work)
I ran there dropped axle for 2 weeks  and ripped it out.  Camber was wrong on one side by 1 degree(poor welding).  Not worth  it if you know how to do it. Try to get him to leave the pearches off as it had like no  caster and needed a pile of wedges.(you could set the caster and weld it yourself)
Wait till you see were you tie rod ends up after you get done bending your steering arms.
I guess most of that stuff on that other site is for the cool factor but i think i like to drive what i build.
Good luck  Your going to need it.
Oh i also had to have the king pins oversized as they were loose as hell.
No diff than mor-drop except it cost more and was worse.
I will have to say they seemed like nice guys but the product just was not there.
Old racers go in deep and come out hard

Phat

Quote from: "Phat"You want one?  3 inches is way too much as you will be draging the axle.  Hope your a good fab guy because it aint a bolt in.  I got more drop by changing perches and sectioning my frame.(6 hours worth of work)
I ran there dropped axle for 2 weeks  and ripped it out.  Camber was wrong on one side by 1 degree(poor welding).  Not worth  it if you know how to do it. Try to get him to leave the pearches off as it had like no  caster and needed a pile of wedges.(you could set the caster and weld it yourself)
Wait till you see were you tie rod ends up after you get done bending your steering arms.
I guess most of that stuff on that other site is for the cool factor but i think i like to drive what i build.
Good luck  Your going to need it.
Oh i also had to have the king pins oversized as they were loose as hell.
No diff than mor-drop except it cost more and was worse.
I will have to say they seemed like nice guys but the product just was not there.
Oh and mine was 299. i know steel went up but 200 more??????
500 hundred plus  half what a IFS is plus all the bS work to get it right.

My52Chebby

The first time I ever saw Classic Performance Products advertize that axle in a magazine was the June 2004 issue of Classic Trucks.

A while back, I got a set of brand new set of king pins and as it turns out, they were 10 thou oversize. I never sent them back, maybe something told me to hang on to them for the same reason you quoted in your post...

Yes, I'm pretty good at fabricating and I have a fully equiped shop. I'll certainly keep your cautionary notes in mind when I first check out the axle on arrival. I hope that Cen-Pen now welds their axles in jigs to assure quality assurance.

I'll get back to the board when the axle arrives...

Thanks for posting your comments.

My52Chebby

Phat

I got it direct in 2003..... with a middle man i can see why the price is higher.
  I am sure its jig welded but i cut the perches off to put 8 degrees of caster in it becaue i think it had 0.
I just did not want a stack of wedges under the spring.  i dont run a lot of rake in the chassis either so i am sure if you run the nose a lot lower than the rear the problem will be worse.  thats why i say tell them to leave the perches loose.  that way you can set the castor and weld them on for your likes.  i like about 6-8 degrees on these ADs and a short pitman arm.(about 2-3 inches shorter )  they drive well like that.  done a bunch of them.

kb426

I sent mine to Mordrop. It's 3" also.  I have about 2.5" of clearance under the axle with short 15" tires. I went to the front end shop the other day to set the toe-in. They checked the caster and camber and it was real close. That may have been an accident.  I really wanted a 2" but he had a 3 in stock for exchange. When he described how long it could be to get a 2, the 3 started to look real good.  I did end up putting the SSB king pin kit in. I'm real pleased with that mod.
TEAM SMART