Cruising scene in Mississippi...

Started by Sean, June 26, 2005, 11:20:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

I'm setting in a Hotel room in Memphis right now, on my way back from 3 days in Gulfport Mississippi with the wife and kids. They had a monstrous Car show in Biloxi Saturday, then afterwards the main drag was so full of show cars it was bumper to bumper for about 5 miles.

For the most part, they were Ricers and late model "customs", but there were quite a few Street Rods and Traditional style Rods mixed in with them. Lots of Musclecars and sportscars too, I guess when they have a Carshow in Mississippi, its an "equal rights" type of thing...
:D

Pretty nice down in the Gulfport/Biloxi area, but the Humidity would be enough to keep me from living there. I thought Missouri was bad...

Bib_Overalls

You need to come back for Delta River Cruising 16-17-18 September.  The weather will be better and the event draws a lot of reall good cars from the greater Memphis area and beyond.  http://www.memphisstreetrods.com/
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Leon

Quote from: "Sean"Pretty nice down in the Gulfport/Biloxi area, but the Humidity would be enough to keep me from living there. I thought Missouri was bad...
I just came back from that area on the way back from the Power Tour and thought I'd have to put plastic on the seats because of the humidity!

Sean

Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"You need to come back for Delta River Cruising 16-17-18 September.  

I may do that. Memphis really isn't that far from home and since I need to be heading home by noon today, I won't get to see everything on this trip.

I'm getting ready to try and find Beale Street now. Would have been better to have went last night, but after 11 hours of driving all I wanted to do was go to sleep...

rooster

Quote from: "Sean"
Quote from: "Bib_Overalls"You need to come back for Delta River Cruising 16-17-18 September.  

I may do that. Memphis really isn't that far from home and since I need to be heading home by noon today, I won't get to see everything on this trip.

I'm getting ready to try and find Beale Street now. Would have been better to have went last night, but after 11 hours of driving all I wanted to do was go to sleep...

Sounds like a good time. I guess your coming home on 55. After you get to st louis county and get on 270 you might want to take hy 40 W to I-70, avoiding St Charles.

alchevy

There are lots of good quality car shows in Mississippi. You just missed a good one that was Father's Day weekend in Clinton, MS just outside of Jackson. Also if you are in the Jackson, MS area on the first Saturday of the month, every month, there is a huge (over 100 cars) cruise-in in Byram, MS which is just South of Jackson on I-55.  For info on car happenings in Central Mississippi, go to the following websites:

www.vicksburgcruisers.com
www.ms-sra.org

Here are some to put on your schedule for the next couple of months:

JUL 3 Vietnam Vets open show at memorial in Ocean Springs, Ms   228/832-5370

JUL 8-10 World of Show & Go   indoors, at air conditioned Jackson Fairgrounds Trade Mart    Bill @ 601/832-3020

JUL 23    2nd annual Delta Classic benefit car show  Boyle, MS Larry@662-843-5583

JUL 29-31 Catfish Run, Sardis Lake, MS  info: 662/429-7265

SEP 3-4 Big River Classics 55-57 Chevy show   Vicksburg, MS  info: 601/856-2852

SEP 10 Miss. NSRA Appreciation Day at Roy's Rides street rod shop,  hwy. 28N, Laurel, Ms  info: CW 601/833-4606

SEP 16-17 16th Rock & Roll Revival  returns to downtown Meridian at Dumont Plaza  by Queen City Rods & Classics  Meridian, MS info: Ed @ 601 934-0945

SEP 17 Cruisin' Keesler AFB car show  Biloxi, MS  info: 228/377-3160

SEP 24 Raleigh Heritage Festival car show  Main Street,  Raleigh Ms    601/782-9651

OCT 1 2nd Annual Scarecrow Cruise  at Madison Cultural Center, Madison ,MS info: Mike @ 601/856-3542 or Tom Phillips @ 601-259-5248  open show

OCT 2-9 Cruisin The Coast   Mississippi Gulf coast  1-888-808-1188

OCT 15 Cruisin' for Kids benefit car show  Mirror Lake Plaza  Flowood, MS info: Kim @ 601 420-5535 ext 240 or 946-6778  All proceeds to Blair Batson Hospital

OCT 21-23 Halloween Rod Run  by Street Rods Ltd.   at new location, Howard Johnson's in Tupelo, MS  info: Mike @ 662/489-1498  pre- '49
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

HotRodLadyCrusr

There's another show in the gulf port area the 2nd week in Oct called "Cruzn the Coast".  It's a full week long event.  It's about 40 miles long and incompasses 4 or 5 towns along the coast.  I went a few years ago and had a GREAT time.  If I remember correctly there were 6,000 cars registered for the event with most of them being the streetrod variety.  PERFECT weather for cruzn.  Not too hot or sticky.  One of these days I'll get back there.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

47wood

Sean,

And you didn't mention Graceland in your Memphis discussion ...so you'll have to come back.  Course if you want to see Elvis you'll have to go to Vegas ...he's hanging out on the Strip with Howard Huges!   :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

alchevy

Quote from: "47wood"Course if you want to see Elvis...

I was in Tupelo at the end of April/beginning of May and saw Elvis three times!
A street rod is a vehicle made before 1949 that is modified with modern stuff: bigger motors; newer trans; updated suspension, front & rear; a/c.
Following is a street rod plus definition: No known definition because it changes.

www.astreetrodder.com

Sean

Quote from: "47wood"Sean,

And you didn't mention Graceland in your Memphis discussion ..

I drove by Graceland and saw all the Fruitcakes holding their hands up against the front wall with their heads bowed. I guess they were communing with the spirit of Elvis or something... :wink:

Sean

Quote from: "rooster"Sounds like a good time. I guess your coming home on 55. After you get to st louis county and get on 270 you might want to take hy 40 W to I-70, avoiding St Charles.

Yeah, I left Beale Street at about 11:30am. About the time we got to Cape Girardeu I figured out that I was going to hit St Louis in time for the bad traffic, so I cut across through Steelville and Potosi, then up through Jefferson City.