Mallory module replacement.............question.

Started by slocrow, June 18, 2005, 02:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slocrow

Has anyone ever changed out the module on a Mallory Unilite? I was going to pick up an extra module for the road box and was confronted with the cost of the part (around $65) or buy a whole new (refurbished) distributor for $100ish. I went for the whole deal and assumed I could pop the module in & out with ease. Apparently not so as the module is attached (glued) to the advance plate and the wires, after going through the case side hole, have the plug attached. Leaving me with you know the monkey trap where his hand is through a 4" hole in the hollow tree, holding on to an 8" coconut.
Not wanting to cut the wires I was wondering just what the instructions might be as far as replacing the module if one is purchased from Mallory.

Oh yeah, while I'm at it, how much effort should it be to move the advance plate. I opted for the vacuum option on this second unit and with the module loose and the diaphragm detached, I can move the plate but it's not easy. I was thinking of oiling it up but am not sure about the resistance required......Thanks Frank
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...

Dave

Quote from: "slocrow"Has anyone ever changed out the module on a Mallory Unilite? I was going to pick up an extra module for the road box and was confronted with the cost of the part (around $65) or buy a whole new (refurbished) distributor for $100ish. I went for the whole deal and assumed I could pop the module in & out with ease. Apparently not so as the module is attached (glued) to the advance plate and the wires, after going through the case side hole, have the plug attached. Leaving me with you know the monkey trap where his hand is through a 4" hole in the hollow tree, holding on to an 8" coconut.
Not wanting to cut the wires I was wondering just what the instructions might be as far as replacing the module if one is purchased from Mallory.

Oh yeah, while I'm at it, how much effort should it be to move the advance plate. I opted for the vacuum option on this second unit and with the module loose and the diaphragm detached, I can move the plate but it's not easy. I was thinking of oiling it up but am not sure about the resistance required......Thanks Frank

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Seems to me you been doing sumpin again your not equipped for Frank (thinking) and now youve got extra parts again. Tell ya what ive got the mallory vaccum advance dizzy in my 32 so after you get tired of looking at your new or nearly new one ill give ya. 15 bucks cash for it...
To answer your question .. I got no clue...
Dave
ps: ever been to the zoo and spent a little time watching the monkeys ? ill pm ya on that one...

slocrow

OK. Never mind. I just collapsed the pins in the plug and they just fell out. If somebody hadn't advised me about the wires coming loose from the module I probably wouldn't have asked for any help.....on this item.
Now that tough moving advance plate, I'd like an opinion on that, please.
Thanks, Frank
Oh yeah Dave......"Pish-ma-rit"
Tell the National Guard to mind the grocery store...