MII drop spindle question

Started by 48thames, June 24, 2005, 01:52:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48thames

I bought a pair of 2" drop spindles and the guy told me that they are one piece forged steel made in the USA. Well after getting them, they don't appear to be one piece and now am wondering if they are forged steel or cast iron. Can you tell by looking at the parting lines line on a crank shaft? I don't know if I should keep and use them or send them back and get some real one piece ones. I am sure that there are alot of drop spindles out there and I haven't ever heard of any breaking, but It still worries me.

Phat

Looks like cast with forged pins. They very rarely break unless suspension bottoms out.  I weld the back of the pins after a pre heat.  Than go take em to a crank shop and have em x-rayed.  Pretty cheap used to do my spindles and axles in the circle track car ever 3-4 weeks because we had to use stock(well appearing) stuff and did not want it breaking @ 125 mph on the brakes with 38 other guys all over your a## :shock:
Old racers go in deep and come out hard

48thames

Thanks for the info. If they are cast iron and not forged then I don't think I should run them here in California with all the pot holes we got.

48thames

Forgot to ask,is there a way to tell the cast iron from the forged steel?