Any one ever setup tv cable by line pressure 700r

Started by slick1969, June 12, 2005, 10:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slick1969

Just woundering if anybody has setup tv cable by line pressure? And what pressure should read whenyou hook guage to drvers side of trans? I think my 700r has line pressure problem. Any help would be appreciated

Crosley.In.AZ

I've worked on a few 700/4L60 trannys.

what leads you to believe you have a line pressure problem?

The base setting on a TV cable is full pull of the cable at WOT...

The low end of the pressure will run at  different levels depending on what is in the tranny for PR spring and boost valves
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

slick1969

I was reading on bowtie overdrives how to set up a universal tv cable and they said to use a guage. I hooked gauge up and the line pressure is 105psi. Bowtie overdrives say on there site set at 2to 4pis. If I pull my cable by hand pressure should go up and if I let it release to no tension on cable it should go down. Can you tell me if that is right. If I pull mine or release to no tension my psi is 105 all the time. That's why I have a problem.

slick1969

I set the cable. The shift points for 1st to 2nd and 2nd to third are good. It will not go into overdrive til around 60 to 65 mph or 4000 rpms.

Crosley.In.AZ

Minimum psi on a stock 700 is in the area of 65 psi.  Modified 700 wil run 90 to 100 minimum psi

IF your psi reading is not changing as the TV cable is pulled, something is wrong.

Pull the cable several times firmly while the engine is running ( IN park) to see if you can get the TV valve inside the valve body to free up.  I would guess it is stuck or there is something wrong with the TV linkage inside the tranny pan.

I do not follow this statement:

QuoteBowtie overdrives say on there site set at 2to 4pis.

that reads like a TV pressure adjustment of an AOD Ford tranny

Quote from: "slick1969"I was reading on bowtie overdrives how to set up a universal tv cable and they said to use a guage. I hooked gauge up and the line pressure is 105psi. Bowtie overdrives say on there site set at 2to 4pis. If I pull my cable by hand pressure should go up and if I let it release to no tension on cable it should go down. Can you tell me if that is right. If I pull mine or release to no tension my psi is 105 all the time. That's why I have a problem.
Tony

slick1969

The guy that built my trans said he internally hook the lockup converter and I do not need any wires hooked to trans. Have ever heard of this or done it?

Crosley.In.AZ

yes.  

I do not care for that setup.  

Quote from: "slick1969"The guy that built my trans said he internally hook the lockup converter and I do not need any wires hooked to trans. Have ever heard of this or done it?
Tony

EMSjunkie

"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

slick1969

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "slick1969"How do you set your lookup crosley?

I use electric solenoid for lock in OD only.  That way it is controllable.

With hydraulic lock up ... when you get into a panic stop situation for only a second. You lock the brakes up, the engine is dead. It could be a bad thing IMHO

With an electric setup and a brake light switch that cancels 12 volts to the tranny  when the brakes are applied...

usually ( Not always) the engine is not stalled in a panic stop
Tony

1FATGMC

Quote from: "Crosley"

With hydraulic lock up ... when you get into a panic stop situation for only a second. You lock the brakes up, the engine is dead. It could be a bad thing IMHO

With an electric setup and a brake light switch that cancels 12 volts to the tranny  when the brakes are applied...

Tony doesn't the hydraulic lock-up also lock-up in 2nd and 3rd or can you make it so it only locks-up in 4th.

c ya, Sum

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "1FATGMC"
Quote from: "Crosley"

Tony doesn't the hydraulic lock-up also lock-up in 2nd and 3rd or can you make it so it only locks-up in 4th.

c ya, Sum

IF you know what to do , the hydraulic lock up will function in OD only.  Works off the road speed ( gov pressure) of the vehicle.  It can be time consuming to set-up.

requires an early v-body , another PITA to deal with
Tony