Rebuilt my 5hp this morning...

Started by Sean, March 05, 2004, 04:21:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

My tiller engine (Briggs) was running wide open and knocking like crazy last fall so I took it apart yesterday evening to see what was going on. Once I got inside, I found that the internal gear for the governor had grenaded itself, the oil dipper was destroyed, and the rod bolts were so loose that the rod had been hitting the side of the case.

The crank buffed up pretty nice with crocus cloth so I went to town and bought a new rod, governor, and head gasket. Got it all stuck back together this morning and was just getting ready to start it when I remembered I had forgot the oil dipper. Pulled it back apart, put the dipper in, retorqued everything, installed it back on the tiller and it started on the third pull.

I can't believe I was just going to junk it and spend $200+ on a new motor. I ended up with a total of $33.58 and about three hours of labor in it. Little wet to do any tilling, but I let it run for about half an hour and it seems to be good as new.

SKR8PN

Still a little,actually a LOT, wet here to worry about the garden. A couple of things that I truly enjoy........the smell of grass the first time you cut it in the spring,and the smell of a freshly tilled garden. My tiller is 4ft wide and goes on the back of my Kubota  :lol:
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

Rayvyn

Quote from: "SKR8PN"Still a little,actually a LOT, wet here to worry about the garden. A couple of things that I truly enjoy........the smell of grass the first time you cut it in the spring,and the smell of a freshly tilled garden. My tiller is 4ft wide and goes on the back of my Kubota  :lol:

My tiller is 4ft wide and goes on the back of my Kubota...

So you do know Enjenjo...?? :D  :D  :D
I just didn't know he had a fancy for Oriental guys, though... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
***SFC-Team Smart***

What can a bird do that a man can\'t?

Whistle through his pecker...

Sean

Quote from: "SKR8PN"My tiller is 4ft wide and goes on the back of my Kubota  :lol:

Yeah, my 81 yr old Grandpa decided he needed one of those last year. Said he couldn't handle his regular tiller anymore. By the time he got done playing with it he had 3 acres tilled up for a garden, and about 4 acres of creek bottom tilled up for a game plot.

Sean

Quote from: "Crosley"I like working on small engines. Started that in the 8th grade when I had 2 lawn mowers for yard jobs I had during the summer and on weekends

I never bothered to take one apart before. If I had known how easy it was to fix them, I could have saved some money over the years.

Darkman

For some reason every time I try to do a small engine I always need a part that cost more than a new engine. LOL I'm always told that the machine work and parts makes it too costly. I took my tiller in last week and cranked and run it prior to doing this. THey called me yesterday and said the carb is completely corroded and it won't run at all. I smell something. I'm going to look at the carb tomorrow. This is three year old engine stored inside.
Charles in Pensacola

Restomodding at the speed of a slow sick snail.

Current project 1957 F100 312 4 bbl with automatic and McCulloch supercharger Mus II IFS and lowered rear

Sean

Mine could probably have stood some machinework. There were some pretty deep scratches in the cylinder wall, I guess from the shrapnel floating around inside it. It didn't smoke, and the compression felt about the same, so I'm not going to worry about it.

Even if I only get one more season out of it, it was worth what I spent on parts. I priced new engines at several places and they were all around $200.

river1

Quote from: "Crosley
============= now you know ;)

as a kid I was always tearing stuff apart.  not always to the liking of my parents[/quote

me too :!:

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.