48 Dodge Questions

Started by sedanman, May 23, 2005, 11:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sedanman

Hey guys and gals,

Me and a buddy of mine went to the swap meet and car show in Indy at the fair grounds Saturday. We had a great time. He was looking for something to build into a streetrod. He found and bought a 48 Dodge. Its a complete car. He wants to keep it all Mopar and was wondering if any of you folks might suggest a motor and tranny and rearend combo he could salvage from another later model car. He would like to retain the original front suspension. The steering box is mounted on the inside frame rail on drivers side and appears that it will need to moved or replaced. Can you give us any pointers on what might work? Also can he upgrade the front from drum to disc brakes?

Vic  :)

Dennis the Menace

Sedanman,
Go over to the P15/D24 site. There are some of the guys that are changing the drive train in their rides.  There are some of the guys that have updated to disk brakes on the site also.
Dennis

http://merc583.addr.com/cgi-bin/webbbs/webbbs_config.pl?resetnew
Photo Guy: WWW.hotrodhotline.com
Dennis  8)

sedanman

Quote from: "Dennis the Menace"Sedanman,
Go over to the P15/D24 site. There are some of the guys that are changing the drive train in their rides.  There are some of the guys that have updated to disk brakes on the site also.
Dennis

http://merc583.addr.com/cgi-bin/webbbs/webbbs_config.pl?resetnew

Thanks for the site, I book marked it and went there. Its a hard site to find specific things or its probably just me. I hoped that enjenjo would would jump in and and share that wealth of knowledge that he has,(hint).

Vic

moparrodder

Quote from: "sedanman"Hey guys and gals,

Me and a buddy of mine went to the swap meet and car show in Indy at the fair grounds Saturday. We had a great time. He was looking for something to build into a streetrod. He found and bought a 48 Dodge. Its a complete car. He wants to keep it all Mopar and was wondering if any of you folks might suggest a motor and tranny and rearend combo he could salvage from another later model car. He would like to retain the original front suspension. The steering box is mounted on the inside frame rail on drivers side and appears that it will need to moved or replaced. Can you give us any pointers on what might work? Also can he upgrade the front from drum to disc brakes?

Vic  :)

Vic,  it's good to see someone keep a mopar all mopar.  Check out PLY-DO address,Rt.1, Box 277-B   Delbarton, WV 25670  phone# (304)-475-3245   in their catalog they list a bolt on disc brake kit for the 46-48Dodge for around 200 bucks and includes all bushings,spacers,caliper mounting plates,grade5 bolts and lock nuts and an illustrated instruction sheet. It says to use GM calipers and mopar rotors that you furnish and should take 1 to 2 hours to install.  They also list an engine mounting kit for mopar cars 42 to 52 with orginal ifs and original steering for around 125 bucks and also have a trans mounting crossmember for a mopar tranny.  I got an engine mounting kit for my 40 Plymouth and will be using a 318 with 340 heads and tranny I took out of an 80 Cordoba and plan on an 8  3/4 rear from a Dart Swinger that is a bolt in.   Hope this helps for one way to look into.  Shoot me a PM with your phone number and I'll call ya some evening after I get off work.   Bill

enjenjo

I understand that a 273, 318, 340 is a simple swap, there is even a left side manifold that will clear the steering, 70's A body I think. Someone makes disc brake kits, and suspension upgrades, but I don't remember who right now.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

sedanman

Quote from: "enjenjo"I understand that a 273, 318, 340 is a simple swap, there is even a left side manifold that will clear the steering, 70's A body I think. Someone makes disc brake kits, and suspension upgrades, but I don't remember who right now.

Thanks, Bill and Frank, this was exactly the information he was looking for. He is not real computer savy thats why I told him I would try to find out some of this for him. Sorry Bill I'm a Chevy man and I'm building a 36 Chevy street rod, I love all old cars and the hobby though. I will pass on to him the info and will see if he wants to join RRT so he can talk mopars with you and other mopar guys. I'm sure he would love this site if he can learn how to use it.

Thanks again   :D

Vic

mopar2dr

I installed a 318 with a 904 AT in my 48 Dodge. The exhaust manifolds from early 70's Duster/Demon as well as Dart/Scamp are what you want. The left side will wrap around the steering column like it was planned that way. Also the oil pan and pickup tube from a 4-wheel drive truck is needed to clear the the front k-member. The front damper and pulley from the same early Duster will sit in the same spot the original six used. I used a 1968 Mustang 302 radiator and shroud,the hose routing is perfect for the mopar engine. I can also sugest using the mopar truck moter mounts as they are easier to work with. Any of the mid-size mopar rear ends will work as they are only a little more that an inch wider then the old stocker.  The inner fenders will have to be modified near the front of the engine bay to clear the wider v-8. I ran this setup for about 3 years,then subframed with an 84 Dodge Diplomat front suspension. My truck project is going to be riding a early Dakata frame. Check one of these out for a posible front sub on your buddys car,from what I'm looking at,it seems like a perfect fit. I could mail some pictured instuctions with an address from you. More at www.mei.net/~forty9er/
I got lost in thought, it was unfamiliar territory!

sedanman

Thanks Mopar2dr, This is the kind of info he is seeking. Now the only problem is that those old muscle cars such as demons and dusters are getting harder to find and the price has went through the roof. Are there any newer model dodges from maybe the 80's that are still in some bone yards that he could use.

Vic   :D

mopar2dr

I don't know of any exhaust other than the a-body that will clear the original steering column. Almost every thing that came later has the rear dump on the manifolds and will not clear the column or the firewall. Check with some local mopar racers,these guys are usually in the know of any parts around. I tried headers but they hit the front k-member. If I get a chance this weekend I am going to get all the info on the swap converted to pdf files and will be able to e-mail them.

mopar2dr

Hey,I just pulled my head out and saw the sun! :(U) I am a member of an all mopar BB. Go there and check it out for parts and help. They have a segment for Rods and Kustoms and lots more. www.moparstyle.net/forums

sedanman

Thanks again mopar2dr,

That would be great if you could get those pictures formatted. We are going to goodguys in Indy in June, we are trying to make a list of things to look for at the swap meet. That left side exhaust is one of them. He has the dog house off now and the front suspension looks and feels real good. He has access to a 318 motor so we will be also looking for the truck oil pan, motor mounts and transmission. When you said minor modification to the truck motor mounts what did you mean? He would like to find a complete car as you mentioned and use everything off of it. We just started looking so it may take a while to find one.

Vic  :D

mopar2dr

The truck motor mounts are easier to work with because they are flat and set on a 45 degree angle. Here is what your looking for---happy bidding.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4552407766&category=34203&sspagename=rvi:1:1v_home

sedanman

Thanks Again Mopar2dr

The 318 he has a lead on has been in a garage for 20 years. He don't know how much of it is there or what it came out of. He's going to go look at it this weekend. It might have manifolds on it. If not he's going to bid on the one on ebay. Thanks for the lead and the info on the motor mounts.

Vic  :D