9" Ford ?

Started by nomobux, March 07, 2004, 07:33:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nomobux

Friend wants to order a new R&P, but not tear down until they arrive. Year unknown and no tag. Aren't there two pinion shaft sizes and anyway to tell outwardly. TIA
:b-d:  \" I GOTTS NOMOBUX \" :b-d:

enjenjo

Mustang front end? who made the cross member? How old is the install? It could be either a 70's Mustang II rack, or a later Mustang/Tbird rack, and the mounting is slightly different. Mustang II mounting bosses are 16" on center, Mustang/Tbird is 16 1/2" on center.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Darkman

Enjenjo,

R&P = Ring and Pinion. LOL I wonder what else it could stand for?

There are different bearings for the pinion and I THINK that there are several pinion shaft diameters to correspong with the different bearings. It may just be a larger OD though. Enjenjo knows. We just need to identiufy the proper R&P.
Charles in Pensacola

Restomodding at the speed of a slow sick snail.

Current project 1957 F100 312 4 bbl with automatic and McCulloch supercharger Mus II IFS and lowered rear

Bib_Overalls

Quote from: "nomobux"Friend wants to order a new R&P, but not tear down until they arrive. Year unknown and no tag. Aren't there two pinion shaft sizes and anyway to tell outwardly. TIA

I don't know about the pinion shaft size but I suggest your friend find a 9" pumpkin in a yard and rebuild it.  Some of them have very high ratios (2.50 & 2.75) and they are not in demand.  The price should be right.  He needs to make sure the axle splines match what he has but other than that there should be no compatability issues.  If the R&P in his current pumpkin is a good ratio (3.00 or lower) it will fetch a decent price at a swap meet or he can put it on the shelf just in case he wants to go back.

Bib
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Fat Cat

Quote from: "enjenjo"Mustang front end? who made the cross member? How old is the install? It could be either a 70's Mustang II rack, or a later Mustang/Tbird rack, and the mounting is slightly different. Mustang II mounting bosses are 16" on center, Mustang/Tbird is 16 1/2" on center.

Um read the title next time then you won't look like the chump you are. :twisted:

enjenjo

QuoteR&P = Ring and Pinion. LOL I wonder what else it could stand for?

Uhhh Rack and pinion? LOL :lol:

As Far as I know, there is only one pinion shaft size. There are two pinion bearing sizes, but the bearings both have the same ID.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.