1934 Ford Sedan Schooling needed

Started by Dirk35, May 17, 2005, 01:44:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dirk35

Well, It seems I will soon be the proud new owner of a 34 Ford Sedan Body and original Frame. But thats about it. Not much else to it unless Juhnkyard Dog 32 can get me more parts from the guy that currently has possession of it.

I need some major schooling on the 1933-34 Ford Sedans please.

My plan: Im not going crazy to make it all traditional, nor am I going to make it a high dollar billit rod either. Just a decent driver that is reliable is what I am after. One that my wife would NOT be afraid to hop in and drive off in at all! Yes, full fendered.

Id really prefer to run a dropped axle with either hair-pins or a 4-link front, but have never put this type of suspension together, so Im really hoping to avoid the learning curve as much as possible and get a frame and running gear more close to complete for this one, than to build it all myself as on my two trucks.

What I have: I have the original suspansion from my 35 PU. I gave it to Roothawg, but am reserving the right to pilfer it if he never comes and gets it. :) Do I really even want to bother saving anything off it? My trhought is NO. I really dont plan on using the wish-bones unless it is a good idea and I just dont know it. I really plan on an aftermarket dropped solid (not tube) axle, and probaly disc brakes up front and whatever I come up with for the rear-end (not the one from the 35). Probably either a stock SBC or SBF for cheap and ease here since what I have is nothing and Im not die hard on the tradition.  

1st:
Are there any differences at all between a 1933 sedan and a 1934?

2nd:
What is the difference in the Sedan frames to the coupes?

3rd:
How about fenders, grille, running boards, splash aprons, ect..? What is the difference between the Sedan and coupes grille, fenders, running borads, fuel tank, hood?

4th:
How tight a fit will it be to keep the firewall stock with possibly a small recess for a Distributor if I come across a SBC?

What do you suggest? Thank you all for any/all imput you can give!

model a vette

1st:

The only body differences I can think of are a small cut in the top edge of the firewall lip on later 34's to prop the hood up when it is open and a difference in the hole in the cowl where the hood latches.

2nd:

I think all the CAR frames were the same except for MAYBE the sedan deliveries.

3rd:
How about fenders, grille, running boards, splash aprons, etc..? What is the difference between the Sedan and coupes grille, fenders, running boards, fuel tank, hood?

I think only the rear fenders are different. Everything else you listed is the same. The hoods are different 33 to 34 to match the differences in the grill shell and latching assemblies. The louvers are different also.

4th:
How tight a fit will it be to keep the firewall stock with possibly a small recess for a Distributor if I come across a SBC?

A friend has a stock bodied '34 with a small recess for the distributor. It is kind of tight with the heads close to the firewall and a mechanical fan. I would opt for a slightly bigger recess for the entire engine so you won't run into so many clearance problems.
Ed

enjenjo

If you go with a SBF, you may need to cut the firewall, like you did your 35, they are longer than a SBC.  All 4 fenders are different between a 33 and a 34
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "Dirk35"Well, It seems I will soon be the proud new owner of a 34 Ford Sedan Body and original Frame.
snip ...

These are a great looking car, built in almost any style.
1st:
Apart from those mentioned, the door tops and window mechanisms are different.  The '34 had a flat extension on the rear of the doors for a 'fresh-air' feature.  When you wind the window down, it initially cranked back to create a slot at the front, then would go down if you keep cranking.

3rd:
How about fenders, grille, running boards, splash aprons, ect..? What is the difference between the Sedan and coupes grille, fenders, running borads, fuel tank, hood?

Witin a model year, the only difference between sedan and coupe is the rear fenders.

4th:
SBC is fine.
SBF will require either a short water pump conversion, or recessed firewall.

58 Yeoman

The June 05 issue of Street Rod Builder features the differences between the 33 & 34 Fords.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

GPster

A restorer will tell you a number of differences but I'll tell you two that I'm surprised that got missed. The grill and the hood sides. The grill bars on the '33 grill arch towards the radiator if you look at it from the side. The '34's grill bars are straight. I may be wrong abou the year but the louvers on the hood sides ('33 I think) are curved and the other year's are straight ('34?). I seem to remember that there was a difference between the outer grill shells around the radiator cap. I believe the parts will interchange but if you meet a stickler about the year on the title those parts will date the vehicle. GPster

Dave

Quote from: "Dirk35"Well, It seems I will soon be the proud new owner of a 34 Ford Sedan Body and original Frame. But thats about it. Not much else to it unless Juhnkyard Dog 32 can get me more parts from the guy that currently has possession of it.

I need some major schooling on the 1933-34 Ford Sedans please.

My plan: Im not going crazy to make it all traditional, nor am I going to make it a high dollar billit rod either. Just a decent driver that is reliable is what I am after. One that my wife would NOT be afraid to hop in and drive off in at all! Yes, full fendered.

Id really prefer to run a dropped axle with either hair-pins or a 4-link front, but have never put this type of suspension together, so Im really hoping to avoid the learning curve as much as possible and get a frame and running gear more close to complete for this one, than to build it all myself as on my two trucks.

What I have: I have the original suspansion from my 35 PU. I gave it to Roothawg, but am reserving the right to pilfer it if he never comes and gets it. :) Do I really even want to bother saving anything off it? My trhought is NO. I really dont plan on using the wish-bones unless it is a good idea and I just dont know it. I really plan on an aftermarket dropped solid (not tube) axle, and probaly disc brakes up front and whatever I come up with for the rear-end (not the one from the 35). Probably either a stock SBC or SBF for cheap and ease here since what I have is nothing and Im not die hard on the tradition.  

1st:

2nd:

3rd:

4th:

Id use the wishbones in a heartbeat.. They work great just make the brackets to hold the ends long enuff to get about 7 degrees caster after you split the bones and mount em on the outside of the frame. I would go with a 4 inch dropped axle  maybe get on the hamb board and find the guy that rebends em. It will work great and ride great.
Dave

river1

Quote from: "N8DC"I would go with a 4 inch dropped axle  maybe get on the hamb board and find the guy that rebends em. It will work great and ride great.
Dave

http://www.industrialchassisinc.com/

is the contact on the HAMB. when you call ask for steve (elpolacko on the HAMB) he's good people and very knowledgable.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Skip

Aside from the obvious differences in the grille and bumpers........

The 34 has a screen in the cowl vent and the support (curved) section that pulls the cowl vent down against the cowl is straight across and fits between the screen and the rear of the opening.  The 33 has a wedge-shaped support and no screen.

34 cowl has a hole in the bottom for a hood latch.  The 33 has a bracket attached to the cowl for the hood latch.  33 has a single handle in the center of the hood side and rods back to the bracket.  The 34 has latches on both ends and the rear one fits into the hole in the cowl.

The front doors on a 34 have a piece of metal in the rear of the window opening because the windows roll BACK whereas the 33 windows only go up and down.

Those are some of the more obvious differences.
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting