From Frame up #3

Started by Dusty, May 22, 2005, 07:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty

Hello again......
This is a progress report on the S-10 to '54 Truck conversion... This week I was able to paint the frame and all of the components, like control arms, nuts , bolts, brackets, rearend and anything else that is going back on.  I was going to have the Rotors turned, but one looked marginal to me, so I call the junk yards and 20 bucks apiece if I pulled'em.  So I called the parts house, and they wanted $49.99 for a NEW pair, SOOooo I have new rotors.  I have replaced all brakes both front and back, and all bearings, front and back.  It might not be evident in the picture, but 8" have been removed from the front of the frame.  This week I'm gonna set the cab and weld the cab mounts to the frame.  Doing this involves removing the Core support bracket that is welded to the frame and both sides of the cab mounts, front and rear.  You discard the rear cab mounts.  The S-10 front cab mounts become the rear '54 cab mounts, and the core support brackets become the '54 front cab mounts.  That may be confusing, but I'll have pictures when I'm doing it.  Enclosed are  pictures of this weeks progress..
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

1FATGMC

Looks good Benny.  Are we going to see the truck in August?

Also what is that big fan for.  To dry the paint or did it finally get hot in Texas  :D .

I'm getting a little further on the lakester all the time.  In case you guys don't know, Benny is my "at large" (nothing to do with size  :-o ) crew chief.

c ya, Sum

Dusty

Sum....The fan is to keep the mechanic dry...Actually I have 2 of those big fans, and Saturday I had them Double headed!!!!  It got to 100, and with 97% humidity, the mechanic stays kinda wet.  Paint drys on its own in this kinda heat.  The truck might be ready next August, not this one...However, the '38 may be ready first.  It's in line for paint and upolstery first...
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE