Drag Racing Insurance Problems

Started by Roddess1932, May 17, 2005, 01:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roddess1932

Hey Everyone,

Wanted to get some feedback on how everyone goes getting insurance on your hot rod when going drag racing??!!

Im in Australia and insured with Vigil (for those in the states - our main two hot rod type insurers are Vigil & Shannons) and they have BOTH emphatically stated they will not insure our hot rod when drag racing, even at an ANDRA event....

So what does everyone else do? We have just built a wild 351 for the '34 and wanna take it but this is a worry. I dont worry so much about us in the car but sometimes you get a turkey beside you who just doesnt know when to give up.....  :evil:   :evil:

Whats the insurance like in the states?? Do you guys have the same problem??

enjenjo

I think you are going to find it's just about impossible to insure any vehicle while it is racing. At some point, you are going to have to assume your own risk.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

HotRodLadyCrusr

In the US there are insurnace companies that insure drag racing cars.  How do I know this.  Well in 2000 my '47 Chevy was in a shop that got hit by lightening and burned to the ground.  Inside were a couple of dragstrip only cars.  One was insured, the other wasn't.  The one that wasn't insured just had a mega dollar paint job and graphics applied at the shop.  Both drag cars were pretty well known and the story of the fire and loss was written up in "National Dragster".  Perhaps in Austrialia they have a mag such as this with advertising from an insurance company.  Just a thought.  Good Luck

Regualr car insurance and "speciality" car insurance here in the States specificly forbid dragracing, road racing or  "any type of contest of speed".  I do realize the risk every time Big Olds heads down the dragstrip.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Roddess1932

Thanks for your responses....

I just cant believe that no one will insure "drag racing" ,yet they will insure Targa racing which to me seems more dangerous than racing down a straight strip! Stoopid.....!  :roll:

The insurance company I deal with has asked me to email them with a complaint. I thought by posting here I could see how others felt about this as the more people who complain, the better chance we have of being heard and something being done about it....

So please - more suggestions & responses!!!!!