Question on Bowtie Overdrives

Started by Santa Fe Bri, June 16, 2005, 06:11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Santa Fe Bri

Hi Guys Im still trying to get my head around how the Bowtie TV kit works off the rear small base Roachester carb. Pleased find the time to go to (Bowtie overdrives tv made ez) & click onto " small base Roachesters" there is a picture at the bottom showing the rear carb with slotted throttle lever connected to the centre carb & I can`t understand how this works. any comments.  " Puzzled not thick limey "  any other info on tri Power to 700R4 (TV CABLE)  :(D)  Bri            
l

rumrumm

I have their kit on a single Edelbrock 750, and it looks like it works basically the same way for a single Rochester in a tri-power. There are three metal pieces that mate to the bottom part of your carburetor linkage like a sandwich. These three pieces create the proper geometry for the TV cable. It is a very slick kit and it did not take me long to install everything. The cable end is adjustable so it will easily adjust to the base that comes with the kit. I have been recommending it to people for some time now as I think it is a very good product.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

Santa Fe Bri

Thanks Rumrum, have you used that sloted throttle linkage on your set up, if so were did you purchace it from as I have`t got that part in my kit Ive also had to make a plate for the rear carb as the don`t make one for the small base Rochester. does the TV cable start to move as soon as the throttle is opperated. I still don`t understand why the throttle arm is slotted at the centre carb end. Cheers Brian

Rochie

Quote from: "Santa Fe Bri"Thanks Rumrum, have you used that sloted throttle linkage on your set up, if so were did you purchace it from as I have`t got that part in my kit Ive also had to make a plate for the rear carb as the don`t make one for the small base Rochester. does the TV cable start to move as soon as the throttle is opperated. I still don`t understand why the throttle arm is slotted at the centre carb end. Cheers Brian

Brian,
I may not be interpreting your question correctly but... The cable has to move with the primary carb to apply proper line pressure within the trans.  The cable mounting plate is mounted to the back carb to allow for the length of the "exposed cable and terminal end on that cable".  The cam that is supplied with the kit is mounted on the butterfly linkage of the middle (Primary ) carb and adjusted so that a Line pressure rise is immediate upon cracking the throttle plates.  I think the slotted piece of linkage that you are commenting on is the piece that allows the progressive action of the front and rear carb when all is buttoned up and ready to run.  
I ran a tri-power small base rochester set-up on my 57 with the 700R4 and didn't use a kit, but this was a little bit before the kits were available.
I 've been wrong before so tell me if I am ok
Rochie

Santa Fe Bri

Thanks Rochie  You got the meaning of my question OK, I think whats confused me with the TV cable is when I had a 350 Turbo gearbox in my 34 Ford Coupe the Kick down cable was sloted & I now understand the TV cable works different & like you said as soon as you crack the throttle plates on the primary carb the TV Cable starts to be pulled to work the line preasure. Thanks again, this forum is my  only sauce of info on Hot Rodding no one in my town services or sets up these gearboxes or tri carbs. Its a great site. Cheers Brian 8)    :b-d:

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "Santa Fe Bri"Thanks Rochie  You got the meaning of my question OK, I think whats confused me with the TV cable is when I had a 350 Turbo gearbox in my 34 Ford Coupe the Kick down cable was sloted & I now understand the TV cable works different & like you said as soon as you crack the throttle plates on the primary carb the TV Cable starts to be pulled to work the line preasure. Thanks again, this forum is my  only sauce of info on Hot Rodding no one in my town services or sets up these gearboxes or tri carbs. Its a great site. Cheers Brian 8)    :b-d:

you must have missed my quote in your other thread or I was not clear enough;

small triple rochesters + 700r4 gearbox

where I posted:

QuoteThe TV cable needs tension on it full time .

Also needs to move with throttle on primary carb if more than one carb is in use

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

lobucrod

The picture shows the tv cable housing attached to the base of the rear carb. The tv cable itself attaches to the center carb. The slotted linkage allows the center carb to open a ways before the end carbs open allowing you to run off of the center carb only the same way you run off of the fron barrels only on a 4 barrel. The linkage on the end carbs are attached closer to the throttle shafts which opens them up at a quicker rate. This way all three carbs will reach 'wide open' at the same time.

Crosley.In.AZ

Mayb this will help explain what we mean;

All the photos I look at on the TV MadeEZ web site show the TV cable  linkage hooked to the middle carb on the tri carb setups

The cable bracket is attached to the rear carb.

The photos are not  large enough to properly show the tri-carb TV  setup IMHO.

I hope the photo links function to the TV- Made-EZ site.

middle carb with TV cable set up

small base middle carb.

small base carb...

======= clear as mud.... LOL

Quote from: "lobucrod"The picture shows the tv cable housing attached to the base of the rear carb. The tv cable itself attaches to the center carb. The slotted linkage allows the center carb to open a ways before the end carbs open allowing you to run off of the center carb only the same way you run off of the fron barrels only on a 4 barrel. The linkage on the end carbs are attached closer to the throttle shafts which opens them up at a quicker rate. This way all three carbs will reach 'wide open' at the same time.
Tony

Santa Fe Bri

Thanks everyone for there input on this thread, Ive finally got the idea how it all works. I do now understand what you mean Crosley about the TV cable needing tension on it full time & thanks for those enlarged pictures. The slotted arm to the rear carb carb was confusing me as my progresive linkage is on the other side of the carbs & I thought that slotted arm was something to do with the TV Cable, Im no longer puzzled on this problem. I wanted to make sure I get the correct adjustment on the gearbox & tricarbs & now feel OK to start. Cheers Everyone  :D       Santa Fe Bri :b-d:

Crosley.In.AZ

Mayb I missed it , but a larger photo of the whole tri carb setup that shows the final hook up in place  would clear up some of the confusion.

:shock:
Tony