Replacing the radiator in the 62, any Recomendations?

Started by Jimc, March 07, 2004, 06:25:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimc

Today, while driving the 62 Impala, the car overheated. while diagnocing the problem, I found that the radiator was leaking where the top tank and the core are attached. I have had this radiator repaired twice, so now, I am contemplating replacing it.
The engine is a 355 Chevy and automatic transmission.
I am considering either an aftermarket or original replacement.
I am asking you all what you have used or reccomend.

Thanks, in advance for your thoughts and ideas.

Jim
Life in the fast lane aint so great. Just ask the opossum

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jimc"Today, while driving the 62 Impala, the car overheated. while diagnocing the problem, I found that the radiator was leaking where the top tank and the core are attached. I have had this radiator repaired twice, so now, I am contemplating replacing it.
The engine is a 355 Chevy and automatic transmission.
I am considering either an aftermarket or original replacement.
I am asking you all what you have used or reccomend.

Thanks, in advance for your thoughts and ideas.

Jim

I had good luck with Walker radiators on some of my cars. You can buy them at parts stores or I think online. The one for my Camaro was about a hundred and sixty dollars so not to expensive!

I have given up on cheap recore radiators or those repaired by shops. You will get farther with a good new one IMHO. Nice car. Good luck keeping it cool!

Sal

enjenjo

I like Griffin, or BeCool. I have become an aluminum radiator convert.

I just bought a 64 with a 350 that I am going to part out. I'll take a look at the radiator, it is supposed to be new. Should be the same.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Jimc

Quote from: "enjenjo"I like Griffin, or BeCool. I have become an aluninum radiator convert.

I just bought a 64 with a 350 that I am going to part out. I'll take a look at the radiator, it is supposed to be new. Should be the same.

Cool! That would be good for both of us if it is a goodern...
Thanks,
Jim

47wood

Griffin gets my vote ...I've become an aluminum convert too.
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

* Z over on the SRS site is gaining quite a reputation with the PRC aluminum radiators that they are selling...I have heard nothing but good things and they are reasonably priced.I have dealt with * on several occasions and he is a real stand-up guy.
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

moparrodder

Quote from: "40"* Z over on the SRS site is gaining quite a reputation with the PRC aluminum radiators that they are selling...I have heard nothing but good things and they are reasonably priced.I have dealt with * on several occasions and he is a real stand-up guy.
I have delt with * Z also and Daryle is right, he is real good to work with. The product is very good and the service is top notch, he even follows up with emails to you to make sure you got what you wanted and to make sure the transaction goes smoothly, and the service is quick.  Bill :)

Bruce Dorsi

Enjenjo:

A few local guys have had some bad experiences with Griffin radiators in the past.  .....Local shops would not repair them, and even Griffin said they can not / will not repair them. (One was a brand-new, unused unit!)  ....I don't know if that still applies to their current product.  

The PRC radiators which are receiving rave reviews, are advertised as being repairable.

As I understand it, some aluminum rads are soldered together, and can be repaired.  .... The Griffin units were epoxied, and could not be repaired.  ........ Can you shed any light on this?

{This reply should have been in reply to Enjenjo, not JimC. ---My mistake!}
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

btrc

I was the one with the damaged Griffen radiator, and yes, Griffen said they were not repairable.   That is one thing I checked with PRC on before I bought theirs to replace the Griffen.  
I have a friend with a '62 Pontiac who has Desert Cooler radiator in it.  I don't know if that's a model or a brand name.  He has a 455 Pontiac engine and it never gets too hot.  I have ridden in it in stop and go traffic at 100+ deg.
Bob

enjenjo

Quote from: "Bruce Dorsi"Enjenjo:

A few local guys have had some bad experiences with Griffin radiators in the past.  .....Local shops would not repair them, and even Griffin said they can not / will not repair them. (One was a brand-new, unused unit!)  ....I don't know if that still applies to their current product.  

The PRC radiators which are receiving rave reviews, are advertised as being repairable.

As I understand it, some aluminum rads are soldered together, and can be repaired.  .... The Griffin units were epoxied, and could not be repaired.  ........ Can you shed any light on this?

{This reply should have been in reply to Enjenjo, not JimC. ---My mistake!}

Some of the Griffin racing radiators are made using OEM Ford cores, and are epoxied. AFCO cores are also epoxy for the same reason. These are not repairable The street rod radiators I have used are brazed and are repairable. I did have an issue with them on shipping, I received two radiators in a row that were damaged because of improper packing, but they appear to have solved that problem.

I have talked to PRC about a radiator, but they couldn't build what I wanted. No reflection on them. I will call them in the future if they can help me.

The Desert Cooler radiators are built by US Radiator.

HotRodLadyCrusr

It's too bad * Z can't run a message board as well as he sells products.  I wouldn't spend a dime with a guy that continues to allow the flaming and character assassination that goes on there.

With all that being said, I took Big Olds to a local race car rad shop on the other side of town and they built me an AL rad for a fraction of the cost of the aftermarket ones.  They even built be an AL fan schoud as well.  Installed it all too.  All of this was half of BeCool price for the same size.  

BUT Dad installed BeCool on his 56 Olds and ran in 100 degree heat all day long, in stop and go traffic ,during the Woodward Dream Curz, with the air on, and the temp gauge never moved.  He loves his BeCool and swears by it.
Your topless crusn buddy, Denise

Looking for old good for nothing flathead heads to use for garden project.

Rochie

Jim,  As HRLC has said the Be-Cool's are good rads, although somewhat expensive.  I can vouch for the guys that build ALL of Be-cool's custom fit Rads, because they are hometown guys.  Bill Kydd and his crew at Kydd Rad here in London have been building custom fit and function rads for longer than I care to remember.  Their rads show up on a lot of unconventional vehicles as well as a lot of highend stuff.  Great rads and great people to deal with.  And NO I don't have a cent invested.
Rochie

Jimc

I appreciate the responces. I am leaning towards the aluminum.
all additional comments are welcome.
I am waiting to hear from enjenjoe about the 64 radiator, too.
Jim

enjenjo

I won't know until this coming weekend, I go to pick it up sat.