Brain Pickin Time

Started by soldermonkey, May 11, 2005, 12:26:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soldermonkey

I have a 47 Ford long door coupe that has suffered a poor frame clip job. It has a 78 Camaro clip that was mounted 2 inches too far forward so that the car now has a 116 inch wheelbase. Stock is 114 inches and now the front wheels are not centered in the fender opening and also it appears as if the front track is a little too wide. It took me a while to figure what about the car looked wrong.
I want to put a stock frame under the car and start all over.
I have had 2 other 47 long doors but that was over 40 years ago so I am relearning the car. When I had my other 47s the process was more simple, (hop up the flathead, pull the flathead put in an Olds, pull the Olds and put in the Hemi, then start collecting transmission parts)

My questions for the great knowledge base here:

1. Will the frame from other 46-48 Fords fit without modification (2 door sedan, short door coupe, 4 door sedan and ragtop)?
2. Opinions of M II IFS conversions, who does it right who does it wrong?
3. What about a dropped axel for this car? Who is best?
4. What about raised crossmembers?
5. Suggestions for a good rear, the engine will be a mild 350 of about 275 hp and a turbo 350 or 700R4,  I will be running 15 inch wheels front and rear.

I know this is a lot of questions to answer and I do appreciate any help you can offer.
I will be glad to send you my email address to your PM if you wish.

Thanks to all
dave

enjenjo

Quote from: "soldermonkey"

1. Will the frame from other 46-48 Fords fit without modification (2 door sedan, short door coupe, 4 door sedan and ragtop)?
2. Opinions of M II IFS conversions, who does it right who does it wrong?
3. What about a dropped axel for this car? Who is best?
4. What about raised crossmembers?
5. Suggestions for a good rear, the engine will be a mild 350 of about 275 hp and a turbo 350 or 700R4,  I will be running 15 inch wheels front and rear.

Thanks to all
dave

1. All 46 to 48 Ford frames will fit. Convertible frames have more reinforcement, but still fit a coupe.

2. I like Weedeater crossmembers. They are actually made by Roger Hart, he only does 41 to 48 Ford crossmembers. They get the car low, they are strong, and they fit right. A bit more difficult to install than some of the others, but worth it.

3. Hard to beat a Magnum axle. But if you are using a 700R4 trans, it's difficult to get the wishbone to fit without a lot of modification.  The Xmember has to be extensively modified for clearance. A 200R4 fits better. The floor cover will have to be modified too.

4. Front crossmember? Not really necessary with the spring ahead of the axle. Rear crossmember? I have raised the rear crossmember on them, you can get about 3" without too much floor work. In the rear I like a Posie's parallel rear spring kit, but that's just me.

5. For a 9", a 57 to 59 Ford fits good. For an 8" Granada is the right size. A Maverick 8" will work, but it's a bit narrow, you may have inside tire clearance issues, but it will allow pretty big tires. I would shoot for a 3.50 or 3.55 rear axle ratio, they work good with an overdrive trans. The only GM rear that fits good is a 66 to 67 Nova rear, a bit hard to find. Later Novas will work too, but you may have to juggle wheel offset with those.

I have built eight 46 to 48 Fords in the last 15 years, long door coupes, short door coupes, two door sedans, convertibles, and one woody.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

soldermonkey

enjenjo, Thanks for the info. I think the Granada rear is a winner as well as the 2004R trans. I am starting the search around here for a frame or donor car. Do you have contact info for Weedeater?

Thank you
dave

48ford

Dave,
You can also use the front out of a chrysler 5th ave (84-89)This unit fits like it was perfect fit.You slide it around the original frame,so no problem refiting all thesheet metal,but then you need an original frame again,to start with.It can be adjusted to drop it down as far as you want.
Even with the chassis kit in the rear you will NEED lowering blocks to drop it 4".
All the ford frames will fit.
If you keep the solid axle you must do some big changing to get even A 200R4 in place. I droped mine a little but to keep it from rubbing the floor I used a computer mouse pad on top to stop the squeeks.
another idea,the ford explorer was a 114' wheelbace,if You can fine a 2 wheel drive!
for the work I put into keeping the solid axle I would do something else next time,had to fab up a bracket to mount the g.m. power box,posies spring,spliting the wishbones,choping out the X member for the AOD,new shock mounts and the exhaust on the drivers side is a rembrant!or Remnent.with a e mail addy I will send you some pictures if you want.
hope this helps
Russ&Irene

soldermonkey

Hello Russ, Thanks for the reply.
I have found a number of frames I just need to select the best for the car.
I have sent you a PM with my email address.

Thank you
dave

phat rat

just remember nothing will fit as good or as easy as an original frame
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

soldermonkey

Hello Phat Rat Yes and I should have posted my last entry a little different. The frames I have found are all 100% original. I do not want to get into the problems associated with frames from other makes or vintage. I have seen several frame swaps but never one I liked other than a Deuce frame under an A Roadster. But then that is just my bias.

Thanks for your help.

dave