steering stablizer on a I beam axle

Started by 48ford, March 06, 2004, 09:29:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48ford

Still working on the 46 ford,Has anyone used a stablizer on a stock front end?
I have a G.M. power steering box and a possies reversed eye spring,
Is it worth putting one on this set up?
Thanks for the help
Russ&Irene

Bib_Overalls

I have a SoCal stabizer on my 32 Ford roadster.  It really helps alot.  The SoCal unit is designed to work with hairpins and 4 links.  Would need to be adapted to work with bones.

Pretty easi to install.  You might want to wait and see how your car drives befor you spend the bucks.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

348tripower

Russ,
 I had the So Cal stabalizer on my 29 with a four bar set up. It worked very well, but it did make it more dificult to steer. My 37 has split wish bones, a stock I beam axle and a Durant mono leaf spring. I didn't need a stabilizer in this car. I don't have a front panhard bar either. I found that I had to find a good tire pressure and that the condition of the king pins is crutial to eliminating front end shake. It goes down the road very smoothly. I am curious as to the difference in the ride of my 37 and my 35 with the mustang II front end. Just a matter of time before I am able to find out. :lol:
Don Colliau

flt-blk

Stock front end, Power Steering, and you want to add a stabalizer.

Sounds like some overkill, if everything is set up correctly you shouldn't
really need one.
My 2 cents
TZ
Philosophy of hot rods
The welder is the Yin and the Grinder is the Yang

GPster

I would bear in mind that they were stock on a '48 Ford. Their wishbone had a larger ear at one shackle mount for that use. The '48 wishbone I don't think is a direct replacement for the '46 but it should fit your axel. Maybe with the quicker steering attributed to the power steering it might be something worth considering. GPster

32tom

Quote from: "GPster"I would bear in mind that they were stock on a '48 Ford. Their wishbone had a larger ear at one shackle mount for that use. The '48 wishbone I don't think is a direct replacement for the '46 but it should fit your axel. Maybe with the quicker steering attributed to the power steering it might be something worth considering. GPster

I was taught that a stabilizer was an add on to cover up a problem rather than fix the problem. When I got my roadster it had an add on stabilizer on the stock wishbone set up that I immediately cut off.

I've gone over the front end and balanced the new tires and I still get a shimmy from time to time. I'll probably add one (hopefully a littler neater installation) to prevent it from happening again. I have to admit it didn't shimmy until I cut it off.  I've never needed one on any other front end set up.
Too dumb to know any better and too old to care.

Dave

Quote from: "32tom"
Quote from: "GPster"I would bear in mind that they were stock on a '48 Ford. Their wishbone had a larger ear at one shackle mount for that use. The '48 wishbone I don't think is a direct replacement for the '46 but it should fit your axel. Maybe with the quicker steering attributed to the power steering it might be something worth considering. GPster

I was taught that a stabilizer was an add on to cover up a problem rather than fix the problem. When I got my roadster it had an add on stabilizer on the stock wishbone set up that I immediately cut off.

I've gone over the front end and balanced the new tires and I still get a shimmy from time to time. I'll probably add one (hopefully a littler neater installation) to prevent it from happening again. I have to admit it didn't shimmy until I cut it off.  I've never needed one on any other front end set up.

I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the shimmy on my old 31 sedan. Heres what I found. Wheel bearings.... If you have an aftermarket brake kit and disks like I had it seems that most of the time after you adjust the wheel bearings the back the castle nut off to the first available slot they end up being too loose. Why no one makes a nut with a castle style washer like the new stuff i dont know. I adjusted the bearings on the 30 and backed off the nut to the first slot and you could shake the wheel. Remember when they sell you all this fancy stuff its up to you to make it right. Most of the time you have a sleeve that gets pressed on the spindle for your disk bearing combination and a couple castle nuts and washers to hold it all together. That doesnt mean its right. Oh ya then there was the 34 with the bolt pattern in the rotor drilled 100 thousands off center. Only took me two years to figure that one out. Had one hell of a shake and it only took 35 bucks to fix it.When i set up the 32 i put shims between the nut and the washer to make the slot in the nut come out right.
Now if your dealing with another set up it could be sumpin else . King pin bushings and tie rods all are a factor with shimmy as is tire balance. My brother had a spare socal dampner so i made a deal and its in the garage but i havent installed it yet. Years ago I ran one on a t bucket and I made mounts for a jeep unit for my 30 . Thats before i figured out what was going on. I dont think they hurt but id look further before I bought one. If every thing is tight you shouldnt need one.
My Nickle
Dave

48ford

Thanks for the tips,
I will check out the front end again.
I put a disc break kit on it,and will check out the bearings again.
I know the king pins are o.k.,so lets check out the rest.
also I am mounting a sway bar in the rear(it's got a chassis enginering set up out back).
thanks again
Russ&Irene