Almost finished....

Started by Sean, February 22, 2004, 06:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

All I have left to do is get exhaust put on it. Got a brand new Aluminum Radiator at the swap meet yesterday for $150 because the mounting flanges were all bent up from shipping. About 15 minutes with a hammer and dolly took care of that.

I drove it home with the old radiator and it was running about 180 degrees. Took it out last night with the aluminum radiator and it never got over 150 degrees. I guess i'll have to try a hotter thermostat. I will have to either switch to electric fans, or just get a smaller one. You can see in the picture thats a finger chopping waiting to happen....

I wish I had thought to paint the intake Black now. It would just look like a stock 350. It should be putting out around 350 horse. The pistons are late model Vette flat-tops, the cam is the same Roller thats in the ZZ4, and the heads are Iron Vortecs. I used the new Weiand '87-up Action Plus intake, instead of trying to make my regular Action Plus intake work. Compression is right around 10:1.

Those Chevy motors sure do set in that old Ford nicely. I think Henry secretly designed them that way.... :wink:

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "Sean"
the cam is the same Roller thats in the ZZ4, and the heads are Iron Vortecs.

How did you modify the heads for the .510" inlet lift of the ZZ4 cam?

Sean

I didn't.  A friend of mine built this Motor for his Dirt track Car, raced it twice, decided it was underpowered, and pulled it.  

I called him and got the scoop. He called them "Fast Burn" heads, and said he took them to the Machineshop and had the Valveguides cut down for the Bigger Cam. He couldn't remember for sure, but he thinks they took .075 off.

He gave me the whole list on the engine while he was at it. Lightweight Vette Pistons, low tension Moly Rings, PM Rods, ARP Bolts, ZZ4 Cam, True Roller timing, Windage tray, and Melling HV oil pump. I added the Weiand Intake, Edelbrock Performer 600 Carb, and Pertronix Flamethrower HEI.

I am pretty happy with it considering he sold it to me for $750. Even with the new Carb, new Intake, new Headers, and new Radiator, I am still coming in under $1500 for the whole engine swap. Buddy deals are the way to go, but I will definitely be owing him on this one....

rooster

Sorry I missed the swap meet, BIG family problems on this end. The engine sounds like a good deal. Looking at your picture it dosent look like the dizzy will come out. QUESTION! will a standard points dizzy fit?
rooster

Sean

Taking the tranny mount loose and jacking the tailhousing up to the floorboard lets it come out. I though about moving everything forward with this new Motor, but I would have had to have a new driveshaft made.

When I got the shaft cut down the first time, it was about 3/8" shorter than it should be because I measured it wrong. The extra 1/2" it would take to get the distributor out from under that shelf would have made it too short for comfort IMO, and as usual I was in a hurry to get done so I could go out and run it.

I just got exhaust put on it this morning and took it through town. Its amazing how many squeeks and rattles the previous 3" exhaust was covering up. I got 2 1/2" this time with Turbo's and Turndowns at the rear axle. I can actually hear my stereo now...

Jimc

Quote from: "Sean"All I have left to do is get exhaust put on it. Got a brand new Aluminum Radiator at the swap meet yesterday for $150 because the mounting flanges were all bent up from shipping. About 15 minutes with a hammer and dolly took care of that.

I drove it home with the old radiator and it was running about 180 degrees. Took it out last night with the aluminum radiator and it never got over 150 degrees. I guess i'll have to try a hotter thermostat. I will have to either switch to electric fans, or just get a smaller one. You can see in the picture thats a finger chopping waiting to happen....

I wish I had thought to paint the intake Black now. It would just look like a stock 350. It should be putting out around 350 horse. The pistons are late model Vette flat-tops, the cam is the same Roller thats in the ZZ4, and the heads are Iron Vortecs. I used the new Weiand '87-up Action Plus intake, instead of trying to make my regular Action Plus intake work. Compression is right around 10:1.

Those Chevy motors sure do set in that old Ford nicely. I think Henry secretly designed them that way.... :wink:
Cool! That is great thing about Old Fords, you can put a Chevy in them and keep on recycling.

Jim
Life in the fast lane aint so great. Just ask the opossum

Dirk35

Looks like a fan shourd would keep the finger chopping down to zilch, and would help it cool if you ever had the problem of it.

I want to make a shroud for my 49, but know itll take time to make it quality looking, instead of like I popped it out fo the tinker toy can.

Im not in any big hurry on either of them, so Im not that worried about it.

Sean

Yeah, a shroud would work, but now I have decided the fan is definitely leaving anyway. Its one of those non-flexing "Race Fans" Jegs sells, and it makes an unbelievable amount of noise going down the road.