From Frame up #2

Started by Dusty, May 01, 2005, 12:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty

If anyone here has ever tried to remove or change the motor mounts on an S-10 Frame, they know what a trick it can be without removing the lower control arms.  Well I decided to fix this while I was working on the frame.  On the Left side of the front cross member, there is a slot where all three of the fuel lines come to the motor for the V-6.  On the V8 the fuel pump is on the other side, so the Fuel line will have to be re-routed anyway.  So I drilled a hole with a hole saw just below the slot and then cut it out with the sabre saw.  On the opposite side I drilled 2 holes and enlongated them.  I ground the edges down and then shot the 2nd coat of primer on the frame and covered up the raw metal.  Now I can get a wrench, and my fingers up in the cross member to tighten and remove the nuts.  Plus I can route the new fuel ine through this slot, and still have wrench room.  Just thought I'd share this for anyone wanting to use the S-10 frame for a street rod...
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

Dirk35

I had the same deliema on the frame I used for my 49F1 PU. I used a 80s Mercury Marqui car frame.

I ended up drilling four small holes on the peice of 1/4 plate on each side. Then I welded nuts on the back of those holes and tapped the holes in the plat to the same size as the nuts on that back (fairly large bolts used). Then I drilled a larger than necessary size hole for each nut and welde dth plate to the frame. It soulnd like a goodbidity gooped up system when I explain it, but all you really see is a peice of 1/4 plate on the frame, and the motor mount bracket bolts to it. It looks really clean, and I dont have to hold the nut on the back side.

I just hope none of the nuts ever break free!

Quote from: "Dusty"If anyone here has ever tried to remove or change the motor mounts on an S-10 Frame, they know what a trick it can be without removing the lower control arms.  Well I decided to fix this while I was working on the frame.  On the Left side of the front cross member, there is a slot where all three of the fuel lines come to the motor for the V-6.  On the V8 the fuel pump is on the other side, so the Fuel line will have to be re-routed anyway.  So I drilled a hole with a hole saw just below the slot and then cut it out with the sabre saw.  On the opposite side I drilled 2 holes and enlongated them.  I ground the edges down and then shot the 2nd coat of primer on the frame and covered up the raw metal.  Now I can get a wrench, and my fingers up in the cross member to tighten and remove the nuts.  Plus I can route the new fuel ine through this slot, and still have wrench room.  Just thought I'd share this for anyone wanting to use the S-10 frame for a street rod...