Another new virus

Started by 58 Yeoman, March 03, 2004, 09:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

I just received this email from a newsletter that I subscribe to. Fred doesn't name the name, or even if it has a virus. Just be careful what emails you open.

There's a malicious worm being spread right now; it masquerades as a message from an isp--- verizon, aol,and others; even from me ("Dear user  of  Langa.com gateway e-mail server,..." or something similar).

The email usually contains a password-protected Zip file, with instructions on how to open it.

DO NOT OPEN THE FILE!It's not really from me--- or Verizon, or AOL, or whomever. Those "From" addresses and other headers are faked, but very convincingly: the worm is quite clever.

But the file is a trojan designed to infect your system. The worm-writers placed the file in a password-protected file to try to hide from some anti-virus tools.

Don't be fooled: JUST DELETE THE FILE AND THE EMAIL.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Fat Cat

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"I just received this email from a newsletter that I subscribe to. Fred doesn't name the virus, or even if it has a virus. Just be careful what emails you open.

There's a malicious worm being spread right now; it masquerades as a message from an isp--- verizon, aol,and others; even from me ("Dear user  of  Langa.com gateway e-mail server,..." or something similar).

The email usually contains a password-protected Zip file, with instructions on how to open it.

DO NOT OPEN THE FILE!It's not really from me--- or Verizon, or AOL, or whomever. Those "From" addresses and other headers are faked, but very convincingly: the worm is quite clever.

But the file is a trojan designed to infect your system. The worm-writers placed the file in a password-protected file to try to hide from some anti-virus tools.

Don't be fooled: JUST DELETE THE FILE AND THE EMAIL.

Just to add to this I have gotten a few today myself that look ike this

Dear  user  of  e-mail server "Roddingroundtable.com",

Some of  our clients complained about the  spam  (negative e-mail content)
outgoing  from  your e-mail account. Probably, you  have  been infected by
a proxy-relay trojan server. In order to keep your  computer safe,
follow the instructions.

Pay attention on  attached file.

Attached file protected  with  the password for security reasons.  Password is 76272.

Best  wishes,
  The  Roddingroundtable.com team                                http://www.roddingroundtable.com

Seeing as I am the administrator of the email server at roddingroundtable.com I don't think I would email this to myself and if it was a problem that was from the ISP level it would come from nvhost.com. Needless to say I was not confused. If I were to email one of you with an issue I would use the email address of fatcat(at)roddingroundtable.com or roddingroundtable(at)roddingroundtable.com. Most any other email address is a fake. There are currently 6 valid email addresses. The rest would all be redirected to roddingroundable(at)roddingroundtable.com.

If there is ever a question about the content of an email you think is from me or the board please feel free to contact me and ask me if I sent it or if it is from the forums.

Leon

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"I just received this email from a newsletter that I subscribe to. Fred doesn't name the virus, or even if it has a virus. Just be careful what emails you open.
I got one of those today, and anytime I get something like that I look at the full headers to see where it really comes from.  This message came from somewhere other than my ISP so it was deleted.  Always check headers, even if it looks like it comes from someone you know.

SKR8PN

I got one yesterday as well. Norton caught it before I had a chance to worry about it. THe WORM must not be as clever as they had hoped for......
If we are what we eat.........
Then I am fast,cheap and easy.

unklian

I've recieved a few,from different sources.I think with this one,the attatchment is 17K.
The other current favorite appears to come from "Microsoft" and the subject line reads "use this patch immediately".