Another reason for a LIFT

Started by Dusty, April 24, 2005, 04:24:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dusty

Today, By my self, I was able to trial fit the '54 Truck Cab to the S-10 frame.  Tomorrow I'm going to start grinding and painting the frame after some welding of motor mounts.  I wanted to trial fit the cab to see if there was going to be any obstacles I hadn't figured on.  Because the top is chopped and hasn't been welded all the way around I couldn't pick it up by the top.  I wanted to get it tied down to the frame solid before doing any final welding.  Anyway, by putting a couple of slings under the cab while it was sitting on it's cradle, I was able to pick it up, move the frame under the cab, set it down and then lift frame and all up so I could walk under it to check things out....My lift is just about the handiest major piece of equipment in my shop....Next to my Plasma cutter and MIG welder
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE

phat46

Now that's the easy way to do it!  Looks very safe too.

Here's how I did one by myself a few weeks ago.... :?

halfdone

I have two overhead girders with trolleys and chain blocks.

Handiest thing I have ever had.

I can lift the cab or tray on and off the chassis by myself

Lift whole bodies onto the rotissery, etc

Makes playing with engine mounts etc dead easy

I would of course like to have a two post host AS WELL  :roll:

WZ JUNK

I have a jig that fits in under the dash at each side and goes back to a rib under the rear window.  I can open the door and attach my engine hoist to the jig and remove or place one of these cabs on the chassis.  I do not have a lift in the shop but I sure wish I had one.  I keep falling asleep on the creeper.  Looks like you are making progress.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

I don't have anything that good. With age, this becomes work. My garage isn't tall enough for a hoist. I have a a-frame hoist which is better than nothing but very limited.
TEAM SMART

Dusty

KB....I know about the age, and thats why I jumped on this deal when it became available.  I have gotten to the point, that if I ever happen to fall down, I look around to see if there is anything else to be done while I'm down there, 'cause when I get up I ain't gettin down again soon!!!
Benny Rhoads
Orange,  Texas
THE SECOND MOUSE GETS THE CHEESE