Well we now have 4 wheel disk brakes.........

Started by Dave, April 24, 2005, 04:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

I finished the ford racing svo rear disks for the 32 yesterday . Too bad its snowing here and I cant test em  :evil:  The kit went on well but as I posted in another post it can be a real pain on a 9 inch with the parking brakes in the way to put the required spacers in for the bearings. I had the kid that runs the wire edm machine at work cut the bearing spacers in half and then I removed the parking brake junk and installed the capiler mounts and backing plates then the spacers on the outer side of the bearings then the bearing retainer plates. I had to work on the calipers for the #3 an banjo fittings but all came out well. I installed a 2lb residual valve where the 10lb was in the rear line and Sue came out and we bled the brakes. They seem a little spongy compared to the disk drum setup that was rock hard but ill give er a good test soon as I can and maybe bleed em again. The worst part of the whole deal was getting everything painted. Its been a while and I forgot what a pain these new paints are ... 1st step  dp90 and hardner then spray .. Oh ya wait for activation period for 401 activator. step 2  easy 1-1 paint reducer and spray . 3rd wait about 15 minutes or more 4 parts clear 1 part reducer 1 part hardner then spray and wait till the next day to install everything. Actually it didnt happen for 2 days even better yet but what a pain. What ever happened to the old laquer  :cry:  Ill give a report on how it all works as soon as spring or summer comes back to michigan  Oh ya the kit for the price of 389.00 from speedway motors is very nice. I know its not a wilwood setup but its sturdy and with some paint it looks nice. There is a small boss on the back side of the caliper mount that needs to be ground or sanded flat to make it sit flat on the new style 9 inch rears but that was easy. I did reinstall the parking brake stuff incase I want to add the cables and handle in the future although ive never run one yet (ok I know the pros and cons so go easy on me) and I see that lokar sells the ends for the ford svo kit. Cool ...Maybe some day i will get er done and go for safety 23...
Dave :wink:

enjenjo

good on ya Dave. Let us know how it works on the road.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Dave

Quote from: "enjenjo"good on ya Dave. Let us know how it works on the road.

Wow snow all weekend and a ride today.. All seems to work well on the new rear disks . I do have a little left front pull from the gm metrics now where it was right pull before I went to the new ceramic pads. We bled the right front 3 more times and it didnt seem to make much difference. Dam rebuilt junk im thinkin... Other than that it works well. It dont look to bad either. Hopefully we can make it to the Ypsi show this weekend but ive been rained and snowed out of that one before.
Dave 8)
ps I think coldwater is the following weekend and I have to go to Ft Wayne saturday for the kids graduation from college party so im gonna be at the show sat until about 2 pm michigan time ..who else is going.

Crosley.In.AZ

snow?

so the brakes upgrade sound like a good thing.

bleeders are on top of the caliper for the disc brakes?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)