Henrob question

Started by purplepickup, April 17, 2005, 10:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

I've got a Dillon MKIII which is what Henrob torches were originally called.  It doesn't cut very well and I'm sure it's because of the tip positions but I'm not sure how to fix it.  The #2 tip, that is used for cutting, is shorter than the others.  It's 1.735" long and the others, including the copper one, are 1.870" long.  If someone has a Dillon or a Henrob, could you please measure the #2 tip.  

In the picture below you can see the recommended distance from the ends of the tips should be 1/4" and mine measures 1/2".  The recommended distance between them is 1/8" and mine are .175" apart.  I can buy all the parts but I'm not sure if I need another (longer) #2 tip or the overcutter oxygen tube assembly is bent or something.  The oxygen isn't focused on the heated area and I don't see any way to adjust anything.  I got this used so I don't know what kind of treatment it's had but all the welding tips don't even look like they've ever been used.  Just the cutting stuff doesn't work right.

George

enjenjo

All the tips on mine are the same length, whatever that is. Sounds like someone may have cut your #2 tip shorter for some reason.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure if #2 was supposed to be shorter for some reason.  I think I'll just get a tip and see how it cuts.  Thanks.
George

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "purplepickup"I've got a Dillon MKIII which is what Henrob torches were originally called.  It doesn't cut very well and I'm sure it's because of the tip positions but I'm not sure how to fix it.  The #2 tip, that is used for cutting, is shorter than the others.  It's 1.735" long and the others, including the copper one, are 1.870" long.  If someone has a Dillon or a Henrob, could you please measure the #2 tip.  

In the picture below you can see the recommended distance from the ends of the tips should be 1/4" and mine measures 1/2".  The recommended distance between them is 1/8" and mine are .175" apart.  I can buy all the parts but I'm not sure if I need another (longer) #2 tip or the overcutter oxygen tube assembly is bent or something.  The oxygen isn't focused on the heated area and I don't see any way to adjust anything.  I got this used so I don't know what kind of treatment it's had but all the welding tips don't even look like they've ever been used.  Just the cutting stuff doesn't work right.

Mine is an old Dillon as well.

My #2 tip measues just over the 1.87.  Studying your photo, and my #2 tip, it looks like your #2 has been trimmed at the end.

Having said that, I've never like the cutting torch, and hardly use it, preferring my old Comet II for cutting plate.

Pope Downunder

PS.

The copper cutting jet isn't really focussed on the heated point; rather, it follows it.  You heat a spot, then move the cutting point onto it as you hit the Oxygen, then keep moving.

purplepickup

Quote from: "Pope Downunder"PS.

The copper cutting jet isn't really focussed on the heated point; rather, it follows it.  You heat a spot, then move the cutting point onto it as you hit the Oxygen, then keep moving.
My gas tip is definitely too short and I ordered another last night on ebay.  I understand the way they are supposed to cut but with the way my tips are positioned, when I hit the oxygen and move it into the heated area it cuts a little but as I move, the heated area is too far away from the cut to continue cutting.  I can fiddle with it but the cut isn't clean like it's supposed to be.  Since it has never cut right I can't speak from experience, but I think it will work good for flat surfaces but not for cutting things apart.  If I have to cut odd shaped parts from different angles, I think it would be almost impossible to do with the Dillon.

George

ONE37TUDOR

Just looking at the picture you show it looks like you have the two tips reversed? It shows the one with two rings (#2) on the Oxy line?
But what the hell do I know I have never been able to cut with mine???

Scott...
SCOTT,  slow moving, slow talking, no typing SCOTT

Pep

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "Pope Downunder"PS.

My gas tip is definitely too short and I ordered another last night on ebay.  I understand the way they are supposed to cut but with the way my tips are positioned, when I hit the oxygen and move it into the heated area it cuts a little but as I move, the heated area is too far away from the cut to continue cutting.  I can fiddle with it but the cut isn't clean like it's supposed to be.  Since it has never cut right I can't speak from experience, but I think it will work good for flat surfaces but not for cutting things apart.  If I have to cut odd shaped parts from different angles, I think it would be almost impossible to do with the Dillon.

I  think you underestimate the Dillon/Henrob/Cobras capabilities...Check this site out and look at the demos. This is the one cutting 1/2" plate steel. Look at the saw tooth cuts he does....I can only keep practicing :wink:

http://www.cut-like-plasma.com/info_video_library.htm
See Ya
Pep

purplepickup

Quote from: "Pep"I  think you underestimate the Dillon/Henrob/Cobras capabilities...Check this site out and look at the demos. This is the one cutting 1/2" plate steel. Look at the saw tooth cuts he does....I can only keep practicing :wink:

http://www.cut-like-plasma.com/info_video_library.htm
Yes, I've watched those videos.  He does make it look easy. I agree they can make really nice cuts with a nice even kerf.   I just need to get the tips spaced right and practice.  I'm don't think mine wouldn't cut like the one in the video....even with that guy using it.  I'm sure my gas tip needs to be replaced.

In the picture below, I've got to cut everything off the piece with the X on it and I think for this kind of cutting I'll just use a regular torch and grind what's left.  Sumner doesn't mess around when he welds.  That sucker is welded all the way around.

George