Cleaning cutting bur

Started by Pep, April 17, 2005, 10:14:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pep

I have done something quite silly ( yeah, add it to the list ) In my frustration in trying to get a brake M/C to fit onto my son's car, I grabbed the die grinder with a cutting bur and ripped into the aluminium flange to elongate the holes. After a short time, it wouldn't cut any more. I had a look and it was completely clogged with aluminium...Doh!!!. The way the cutting teeth are angled, it's near impossible to clean it with a wire brush. Is there any way to clean it out...chemically? without destroying the tungsten carbide cutters?
See Ya
Pep

enjenjo

Spray it with WD40, and put it in use on a piece of scrap. It may take a couple times, but it will clean out. From now on, spray it with WD40 before using it on aluminum, and it won't do that.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Pep

Thanks Frank....I'll give it a try
See Ya
Pep

cre8tor

QuoteSpray it with WD40
Yeah i'll second that, works a treat.
I usually spray a bit on beforehand if im machining Aluminium on the Mill or Lathe cause it can be a real bugger to get off once its fused on.

Cheers,
Mark.

Sean

An old Gunsmithing book I have says to powder files with Talc when using them on aluminum. A die grinder would probably just fling it off though...

Leon

Kerosene also works great for machining aluminum.

GPster

This may be "Old School" but I can remember a buddy working with a grinding burr and using wax on the burr before doing any cutting. It was not candle wax but maybe bee's wax but it was not in it's natural state but was in a "brick" shape and wrapped in paper. This was back in the early '70s and it's probably something he was taught in high school shop class or the army reserve. To put a date on this, he's order than the "King". GPster

Rochie

Pep,  
I use regular hand bar soap on my burrs to keep them clean on aluminum.  Works great and you allways have a supply on hand.
Rochie

unklian

Muriatic Acid will remove the Aluminum. :idea:

DRD57

When Paul Smith made the wheels for my Dodge truck he had to clearance grind the calipers. He ran his burr in paraffin for a second or so every 20 - 30 seconds to keep it clean and lubed.

I buy WD40 in 1 gallon cans and then use a plastic spray bottle to dispense it most of the time. When using burrs on aluminum, I have a spray bomb cap with about 2 oz. of WD40 in it and I dip the burr in it about every 5 - 10 seconds of grinding. It stays completely clean.

Pep

Thanks guys...all good information....as usual :)
See Ya
Pep