Holley carb banjo fitting

Started by SimonSez, April 28, 2005, 12:26:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonSez

Hi,

Does anyone know if you can get a banjo fitting that fits a single-feed Holley (e.g. 600 vac-sec) to -6 push-lock hose ?

Russell make one that works with steel braided -6 hose (click on the link below), but I really just want black rubber hose.

http://www.russellperformance.com/auto/sports/images/60-3.jpg

Charlie Chops 1940

Is the carb inlet fitting 3/8" inverted flare?
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

C9

Earl's Performance Products makes a couple of adapter fittings.

Carb threads on one side, #6 AN on the other - no banjo.
(They have a banjo fitting, but it's for braided stainless.)

Part # 991942, single inlet Holley, thread size 9/16-24

Part # 991943, dual inlet Holley, thread size 7/8-20.

One of those for each carb along with a straight or angled (45-90-120 degree) push-on fitting for #6 ought to do it.
The two fittings should make a reasonably compact package.

Their Super Stock hose is the stuff to use with the push-on fittings.
I used it with push-on fittings sans clamp and recommended crimp for oil filter lines and no problems.
Be sure and use the ferrule or clamp.
The crimp wouldn't hurt - Earl's makes a crimping tool, but it appears to be nothing more than a tubing cutter with the sharp edged wheel cut flat or a washer made to replace the cutting wheel.
You'd save some money setting up your own tubing cutter as a crimper.

Earl's also carries a single or dual banjo and as noted above, it's for braided stainless hose.
They also make a braided stainless hose with black rubber outer sheath.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Another way you can go is to run hydraulic lines with black - usuually - or sky blue outer plastic braid.
If you do, run some tests by putting a short piece of hose into a sealed bottle with gasoline and checking for hose deterioration.

Some of it works fine with gasoline and some of it will develop pinholes overnight.

The nickel plated or cadmium iridited fittings are like Earl's and you can get re-usable ones or permanently crimped on one shot fittings.
Cheaper than the aluminum fittings for sure.

These fittings are found at Hydraulic, Tractor and Oil Field supply houses.

IMHO,use Earls or Aeroquip.
Stay away from Russel's.  The few of these I tried were nothing but trouble and the hoses were not up to aircraft standards as were Earl's and Aeroquip.

The pic shows some of the hydraulic fittings available.
Most times in SAE and not AN.

Contrary to common belief you can mix SAE and AN.
I've done it by machining a different angle on male fittings and by using an Earl's seat repair cone.  These are a soft aluminum cone meant to repair damaged Earl's fittings, but they work great when combing SAE and AN.
The oil lines in my 32 are set up with these and no problems up to 100# during cold weather startup.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

SimonSez

Thanks Jay.

Sounds like I will have to go with the 9/16-24 to -6 adaptor and then use a -6 push lock hose fitting (probably a 90 degree version cos the carbs are side by side on a cross-ram intake).

The local stockist here has XRP fittings and they seem ok. I used their version of push-on hose for my trans cooler lines on my '61 and it is working well.

cheers,
Simon