Evil Knievel

Started by parklane, March 23, 2005, 07:22:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

parklane

Looking at what happened on this day in years past, I see that Evil broke 93 bones in jumping over 35 cars. Reminds me of E.J. Potter ( The Michigan Madman). Don't know how many of you guys (& gals) remember that dude. He was crazier than a pet coon. Heard of him bailing off his bike at over 100mph cus the trees were quickly approaching, and his bike wasn't slowing down because he had a kill switch and not a fuel shut off. Apparently started off in a Plymouth wagon with a Allison aircraft engine and graduated to his famous "widow maker" bikes. He was in deed a showman. 8)  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Crazy maybe, but a showman just the same.
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

Sean

enjenjo

Actually he started on the bikes, and graduated to the Dart wagon later. He also had an electric type 3 VW that would run near 200 in the quarter. It ran off some big cables to a generator powered by another Allison

I watched him flip his bike at over 125 mph, at the drag strip in Toledo   (long gone).  He appeared to be unhurt, but I don't know how.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

"The Mad Man from Ithaca". First saw him run the bikes at the strip between Stanton and McBride...must of been in the early 60's. He was a little crazy!

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Dave

Quote from: "parklane"Looking at what happened on this day in years past, I see that Evil broke 93 bones in jumping over 35 cars. Reminds me of E.J. Potter ( The Michigan Madman). Don't know how many of you guys (& gals) remember that dude. He was crazier than a pet coon. Heard of him bailing off his bike at over 100mph cus the trees were quickly approaching, and his bike wasn't slowing down because he had a kill switch and not a fuel shut off. Apparently started off in a Plymouth wagon with a Allison aircraft engine and graduated to his famous "widow maker" bikes. He was in deed a showman. 8)  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Crazy maybe, but a showman just the same.

The last time I saw EJ he was running an allison power tractor at the saline fair tractor pulls and was wearing a baseball helmet  :lol:
Dave :wink:

Red LeClear

I saw him run his bike in about 1967 at MotorCity dragway near Detroit.  Put the bike on a rear stand, reved it up and leaned forward, dropping it off the stand, about half track he knocked over a couple of cones, but never let up.  Now I live about 20 miles from his stomping grounds and know a guy that grew up with him.  My friend said he was a wild and crazy guy when he was young, always trying new ways to go fast and not afraid of anything.

nitrofc

EJ at his best ....

Crosley.In.AZ

Evel is supposed to be in town this weekend for AZ bike week
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

OldSub

I remember the small block powered bike from a magazine article long ago, maybe in the 60's?

Once drove past Evil Knievel's place in Butte Montana.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

Skip

...and up in this neck of the woods we (still) have Eddie Sarno and his nailhead powered drag bike.  He and the bike show up now and then at various events.
Skip

Early Hemi SME
Hot Rod Wiring Consulting

OldSub

Quote from: "Skip"...and up in this neck of the woods we (still) have Eddie Sarno and his nailhead powered drag bike.  He and the bike show up now and then at various events.

A buddy of mine is parting out a 10 year-old Cadillac with a Northstar V-8.  I once saw pictures of a Northstar powered bike a guy was building.  Sounds like a fun project, but probably not one I'm going to take on.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "parklane"Looking at what happened on this day in years past, I see that Evil broke 93 bones in jumping over 35 cars. Reminds me of E.J. Potter ( The Michigan Madman). Don't know how many of you guys (& gals) remember that dude. He was crazier than a pet coon. Heard of him bailing off his bike at over 100mph cus the trees were quickly approaching, and his bike wasn't slowing down because he had a kill switch and not a fuel shut off. Apparently started off in a Plymouth wagon with a Allison aircraft engine and graduated to his famous "widow maker" bikes. He was in deed a showman. 8)  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Crazy maybe, but a showman just the same.

I had the good fortune to see EJ on Widowmaker (III I think it was) when he came to Australia in the '70's.  It was an unbelievable spectacle!
And to see the guy and talk to him, you would never pick him as the rider.

He used no gearbox, so to launch it he'd rev it up on a stand, and then simply kick off.  Instant smokey wheelspin, and he'd weve from side to side smoking through the entire quarter!  After one run they swept all the rubber off the track!  The black mark weaved all over the place!

http://www.hms-sportbikes.de/Topstory_EJ_Potter/hauptteil_topstory_ej_potter.html