Crazy brake plan?

Started by OldSub, February 29, 2004, 12:18:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSub

I just got off the phone with a rodding friend.  He is planning to move soon from near Seattle to near Denver, and we are discussing moving a bunch of cars.

I'm going to pull one on a trailer behind my pickup.  I'll have trailer brakes and am not real worried about stopping my rig.  

He is talking about pulling another behind a '57 Chevy wagon with stock brakes using either a tow bar or a tow dolly.  There are some significant mountain passes between here and there, and when I expressed some concern about stopping, he had what I think is a crazy idea.

The idea is to electrically operate the pedal in the towed vehicle.  Basically just use the brake light signal to operate the brakes.  The towed vehicle will be a tri-5 Chevy that most likely will not have a motor or transmission.

Has anyone tried such a thing?  Got any experience or advice to offer?  Maybe I can talk him out of it...

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

Sean

The Discovery Channel show called "Myth Busters" did it to a Cop car a few episodes ago. Used some kind of electrically operated cylinder to push the pedal.

They were doing it as part of a Full Remote Control system, but it wouldn't be hard to hardwire something similar to another car. I think getting the pressure set correctly would be the problem.

phat46

Quote from: "OldSub"I just got off the phone with a rodding friend.  He is concern about stopping, he had what I think is a crazy idea.

The idea is to electrically operate the pedal in the towed vehicle.  Basically just use the brake light signal to operate the brakes.  The towed vehicle will be a tri-5 Chevy that most likely will not have a motor or transmission.

Has anyone tried such a thing?  Got any experience or advice to offer?  Maybe I can talk him out of it...

Do they make tow dollies with brakes, maybe surge brakes? I rather rent a dolly (shut up Carps!) than to risk crashing TWO good cars.

GPster

Tow dolly with surge brakes and load the car with-out a drive train backwards. that would put the weight of the towed vehicle over tha braked wheels. Make sure you order a dolly with sufficient capacity to handle that weight. Some times it makes more sense to spend some money and have a professional do it right. GPster

C9

Towing an engineless/transmissionless car with a tow bar is asking for problems.

Tried it years ago with a 50 Ford coupe and we had to have someone in the towed car.
It may help to tie the steering wheel down.

The problem is, the car wants to wander all over the place.
Perhaps due to the lessened caster with the engine out.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

58 Yeoman

Last year, I towed my neighbors car backwards, with an eng/trans, and will never tow a car backwards again. It swayed pretty bad, even withthe steering wheel locked AND tied. Almost 15 years ago, I towed an uncles minivan (loaded) on a dolly with my full size 4wd Chevy 1/2t PU, from IL to AZ. It was okay until we spent overnight (I think Flagstaff?) and woke up the next am with snow on the ground. We had to go down some of the mts in slippery conditions. We took it very slow and easy.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Darkman

I tried towing a 67 Falcon with out engine and trans with a 74 Ford Van. We used a professional grade tow bar and tied the steering wheel. NO GO. Evertime we tried it would * back and forth. The steering wheel was tied tight.
Charles in Pensacola

Restomodding at the speed of a slow sick snail.

Current project 1957 F100 312 4 bbl with automatic and McCulloch supercharger Mus II IFS and lowered rear

OldSub

Thanks for the responses guys!

We'll be doing this in July, but passes into Colorado can have snow anytime, and that's a scary thought.

There are two reasons he doesn't want to use a trailer.  First, is we're already using every trailer we can find.  Second, the '57 doing the towing is an original 235, and pulling another 1000-1500 pounds isn't first choice.

It sounds like a tow dolly is probably the best bet.  I know I don't want to drive it, and I'm thinking I don't want to follow it either...

Steve@OldSub.com

Leon

Quote from: "OldSub"I know I don't want to drive it, and I'm thinking I don't want to follow it either...
I think I'd rather follow it so when it doesn't want to stop going down a hill you'll be behind it instead of him using you for brakes :shock:

Track-T

I have been moving cars for two years now for Ryder trucks, We go pick
up trucks around the intermountian area and put our van on a 2 wheel
dolly to get it back.
Dollys do not have any brakes on them at all. You can haul just about
anything with them, Where the wheels set swivels so it will track behind
the towing car.

Also when you come, go though Wyo. from Idaho. They do not have the
large hills that way. When you get to Larime,Wyo. your only about 140
miles from Denver and it's mostly flat.
I live in northern coloRODo so if you need the hiway numbers or help getting around here shoot me off a e-mail.

Track-T    at  bluetrackt@yahoo.com

OldSub

Quote from: "Leon"
Quote from: "OldSub"I know I don't want to drive it, and I'm thinking I don't want to follow it either...
I think I'd rather follow it so when it doesn't want to stop going down a hill you'll be behind it instead of him using you for brakes :shock:

I was thinking I'd be far enough ahead that wouldn't be a problem!

Steve@OldSub.com

OldSub

Quote from: "Track-T"Also when you come, go though Wyo. from Idaho. They do not have the large hills that way. When you get to Larime,Wyo. your only about 140 miles from Denver and it's mostly flat.
Track-T    at  bluetrackt@yahoo.com

My current plan is I-90 to Central Washington.  South to I-84 in Oregon.  I-84 toward Salt Lake.  I-80 to Cheyenne.  South on 85 past Denver, past Colorado Springs to Canon City.  Its about 1500 miles each way....

Are you suggesting heading through Yellowstone and Jackson Hole?

I'd prefer major routes on the way down.  Coming back empty I might be more adventuresome.

Steve@OldSub.com

Track-T

OH NO! no Yellowstone or Jackson, I've been there in june and got snowed on. With out knowing where your stopping at night,Your plan is good. leaving out of Salt Lake there is a LARGE hill to climb on the way
to Wyo. But from there there are just rolling hills. You could also go to
Idaho Springs and miss the hill and save about 100 miles with a road
from Idaho Springs to I belive Rock Springs,Wyo. and hiway #285 from
Larime to fort Collins,Co. that will save you close to 100 miles too.
At fort Collins you catch hiway #25 and go south from there.
I've made the trip from Denver to Seattle in a Ryder truck in 2 days by
way of Portland stopping in Boise and going the way I said above.
Best of luck and be safe,Jim

OldSub

Quote from: "Track-T"I've made the trip from Denver to Seattle in a Ryder truck in 2 days by way of Portland stopping in Boise and going the way I said above.

Thanks Jim.

Portland is 3 hours from here, and Boise just over 8 hours from Portland.  Cutting through Central Washington gets me to Boise in 10 hours.  I have a brother who lives there, so I've made the trip a few times.

I need to get out the maps and look at the options you suggest.  Avoiding steep grades is certainly part of the plan!

Steve@OldSub.com