Woo Hoo!!!!!!!!!!! I got a 54 Chevy 1/2 ton

Started by 348tripower, April 09, 2005, 08:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

348tripower

Now ,
  Can anybody give me wheel base and track width for one of these?
I got a really good deal on sheet metal , no frame.  Now I am wondering what to put it on or adapt it to.
Don :-o
Don Colliau

Bib_Overalls

Quote from: "348tripower"Now ,
I got a really good deal on sheet metal , no frame.  Now I am wondering what to put it on or adapt it to.

Don, I am very impressed with the frames Industrial Chassis in Pheonix puts out.  They use the Dodge Dakota front end.  

My second choice would be a stock frame with Chassis Engineering http://www.chassisengineeringinc.com front and rear suspension, motor mounts, etc.  Cost effective.

Friend built a truck for a customer on an RBs Obsolete chassis.  Also very nice.

Really like the 54 and early 55s with the old cab and one piece windshields.  You are a lucky guy.
An Old California Rodder
Hiding Out In The Ozarks

Charlie Chops 1940

Another popuar chassis swap is an S-10. Some of the HAMBers have done some that way and from what I saw it makes for a fairly low truck with full suspension. You might find something in the tech archives over there yet.

I did a chassis for one quite a few years ago using a back steer Nova sub. It worked out pretty low too but the Nova sub is marginally wide but he used sont 15x5 Welds and it worked out OK. Ran a 350 with a Muncie 4 speed. Nice cruiser.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

Crosley.In.AZ

I would price check on a chassis from Steve at Industrial chassis.....in Phoenix

The S-10 chassis is a good one to use I've heard.  By the time you do all the work to adapt the S-10 chassis the fresh unit from Industrial may be a bargain.

A buddy of mine put a 54 truck onto a 1/2 ton chevy short bed chassis.... all dimensions were wrong.  Track width , length, wheel base. The truck looked real goofy since he attempted no alteration the truck chassis to fit the 54 truck cab & bed
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

1FATGMC

Quote from: "348tripower"Now ,

You can build your own out of rectangular tubing and use a clip for the front.  That is basically what I did.  I'm using parts of the original frame rails from the cab back with all new crossmembers.  It would have been just as easy to not have used even the back frame rails.  It is not all that hard.

c ya, Sum

My Frame Construction

OldSub

Wheelbase is 116 inches.  If you lower the truck you'll probably want to make it 117 or so.  I don't recall track from memory.  Wider in the rear than the front.

Extended cab S-10 is 117 inches and there is a guy who makes a body mount kit.  If you want to contact him, I'll find his contact info for you.

RB's Obsolete sells a complete frame for $8,000.

Yesterday I crawled over and under a '50 GMC now sitting on a metric frame with almost no modifications to the frame.  It did require body modifications that I didn't like.  But the result is a truck with running boards only about three inches above the ground.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

348tripower

how bout that contact info? I have access to a S10 extended cab frame.
Don
Don Colliau

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "348tripower"how bout that contact info? I have access to a S10 extended cab frame.
Don

I can you information on the S 10 frame conversion.  I will try to post a picture of one that I did.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

OldSub

Quote from: "348tripower"how bout that contact info? I have access to a S10 extended cab frame.
Don

His name is Robert Hertz.

http://www.ad-engineering.com/

I've not bought this kit but have bought other stuff from him.  Seems to be a good guy.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "OldSub"
Don

I've not bought this kit but have bought other stuff from him.  Seems to be a good guy.

Interesting site and his stuff looks like he has done some thinking.  I do have a few reservations on how he says it is so easy.  There are some important issues with this swap that he has not addressed on his web site.  Maybe when you spend the $1,000 you get the answers.  I built the one in the picture which included power brakes under the floor, motor and transmission mounts, gas tank, radiator mount, steering column and mount with the connection shaft and I shortened the frame to the correct wheelbase.  I charged $1400.  I would not do another one for that price but it would not be a lot more.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

348tripower

I wonder what the intended radiator is? Think I will email and find out. I have a 18x22 Allstar Performance one in the 48, real cheap. :lol:
Don

Quote from: "OldSub"
Don

Don Colliau

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "348tripower"I wonder what the intended radiator is? Think I will email and find out. I have a 18x22 Allstar Performance one in the 48, real cheap. :lol:

I used a Mustang radiator but it had to be set up real high to clear the steering box and the hood just clears the top.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

348tripower

He says he uses the stock radiator but has seen mustang cross flows used.

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"
Quote from: "348tripower"I wonder what the intended radiator is? Think I will email and find out. I have a 18x22 Allstar Performance one in the 48, real cheap. :lol:

I used a Mustang radiator but it had to be set up real high to clear the steering box and the hood just clears the top.
Don Colliau