Disk brake pads squeaking ?

Started by Dave, April 10, 2005, 08:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave

Went out in the 32 again today.. The more we cruised the more we noticed the front brakes squeaking? Nothing has been chainged from last year cept it sat all winter and got some rust on the rotors. It doesnt drag or pull. I guess the first thing im going to do is pull the pads scuff up thr rotors with 80 grit and 80 grit the pads also in case they are glazed. Just wondered if anyone has run into this before. I do plan on going to ceramic pads to get rid of the brake dust but im too cheap to do it right now LOL Other than that it was a good day and the car is still running good.
Dave

Dave

Quote from: "N8DC"Went out in the 32 again today.. The more we cruised the more we noticed the front brakes squeaking? Oh ya they squeak just driving it sown the road. When I apply the pedal they stop. Nothing has been chainged from last year cept it sat all winter and got some rust on the rotors. It doesnt drag or pull. I guess the first thing im going to do is pull the pads scuff up thr rotors with 80 grit and 80 grit the pads also in case they are glazed. Just wondered if anyone has run into this before. I do plan on going to ceramic pads to get rid of the brake dust but im too cheap to do it right now LOL Other than that it was a good day and the car is still running good.
Dave

Pope Downunder

Quote from: "N8DC"Went out in the 32 again today.. The more we cruised the more we noticed the front brakes squeaking? Nothing has been chainged from last year cept it sat all winter and got some rust on the rotors. It doesnt drag or pull. I guess the first thing im going to do is pull the pads scuff up thr rotors with 80 grit and 80 grit the pads also in case they are glazed. Just wondered if anyone has run into this before. I do plan on going to ceramic pads to get rid of the brake dust but im too cheap to do it right now LOL Other than that it was a good day and the car is still running good.
Dave

I tend to run a soft pad; they make more dust, but they do not squeak, and they do not wear the discs as much.  They also work better at lower temps.  IMHO, most rods do not get driven hard enough to warrant the competition style pads.

Actually; even with these soft pads the dust isn't a problem, as the brakes are not used hard or often, compared with the frequency of washing.

CruZer

That happened with the Wilwood brakes on the front of my '34. Wilwood sent me anti-squeek shims and a spring that goes between the pads at the top where the cotter pin holds them in. The spring did the trick.I just needed a little something to hold the pads apart when I wasn't braking after they wore in .
I don't know if you have Wilwood brakes or not but this reply might help somebody.

Ohio Blue Tip

Quote from: "N8DC"Went out in the 32 again today.. The more we cruised the more we noticed the front brakes squeaking? Nothing has been chainged from last year cept it sat all winter and got some rust on the rotors. It doesnt drag or pull. I guess the first thing im going to do is pull the pads scuff up thr rotors with 80 grit and 80 grit the pads also in case they are glazed. Just wondered if anyone has run into this before. I do plan on going to ceramic pads to get rid of the brake dust but im too cheap to do it right now LOL Other than that it was a good day and the car is still running good.
Dave

Just pour Bud on them before every trip!  You do have one in your hand don't ya?
Still waiting for all that help. :lol:  :lol:
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

Dave

Quote from: "Ohio Blue Tip"
Dave

Just pour Bud on them before every trip!  You do have one in your hand don't ya?
Still waiting for all that help. :lol:  :lol:

Ken first chance I get ill email ya.. I got some splainin to do so you know whats going on here and why I havent been up.
Dave

Beck

Quote from: "CruZer"That happened with the Wilwood brakes on the front of my '34. Wilwood sent me anti-squeek shims and a spring that goes between the pads at the top where the cotter pin holds them in. The spring did the trick.I just needed a little something to hold the pads apart when I wasn't braking after they wore in .
I don't know if you have Wilwood brakes or not but this reply might help somebody.

I had the same problem with the Wilwoods squeeking. The pad didn't want to retract quite far enough. Just added a set of small springs and all was solved. These didn't come from Wilwood though.

The anti squeek shims always seem to help on all the disc brakes. For my daily drivers I load everything up with the nickel anti-sieze compound. It makes a mess, so I don't use it on the "pretty" cars.

Beck

Dave

Quote from: "Beck"
Quote from: "CruZer"That happened with the Wilwood brakes on the front of my '34. Wilwood sent me anti-squeek shims and a spring that goes between the pads at the top where the cotter pin holds them in. The spring did the trick.I just needed a little something to hold the pads apart when I wasn't braking after they wore in .

I had the same problem with the Wilwoods squeeking. The pad didn't want to retract quite far enough. Just added a set of small springs and all was solved. These didn't come from Wilwood though.

The anti squeek shims always seem to help on all the disc brakes. For my daily drivers I load everything up with the nickel anti-sieze compound. It makes a mess, so I don't use it on the "pretty" cars.

Beck

Well I pick up my ceramic 51 dollar brake pads tomorrow and I did add my home made version of dons hot rods pedal return spring on the M/C just to make sure the pedal was returning. I could have got ceramic pads for 38 bucks but they only had a 2 year warranty where the 51 dollar ones have a lifetime warranty so what the heck ill go the extra cash. They say the ceramic pads have almost no dust run cooler and dont squeak so ill try em and ill also put some hi temp silicone on em to help with the squeak issue..
stay tuned film at 11 :wink:
Dave :P