Turbo Hydro 350 trans

Started by timkins, March 30, 2005, 08:10:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timkins

Is there another adjustment on a Turbo Hydro 350 other than the downshift cable. I just had a shift kit installed in the transmission and cannot get the darn thing to shift correctly. It either will not shift out of low unless I let up on the gas or it shifts so quickly from 1st to 3rd depending on where the cable is adjusted to. Then from a rolling start at about 40MPH, if I floor the car it shifts all the way down to first and just
about scares the sh** out of me. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Crosley.In.AZ

well,

shift kits were invented by and the term "shift kit" is trade marked by TransGo.

Is this a TransGo shift kit?  It does not sound like it.

Where is the vacuum hooked up from the tranny to the engine?

Is it shifting quickly 1-2-3 or almost like a 1-3 shift?

What type of vacuum modulator is on the tranny?  A  black large OEM style or a gold zinc style?

Have you adjusted the modulator if it is a gold zinc style?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

timkins

It is a B & M Shift kit and the vacuum line is attached to the rear port on the carb (new 600 CFM Edelbrock) and it has the black modulator on the trans. The trans shifts almost like a 1-3 shift.  The trans shifted normally before I had the kit installed.

Crosley.In.AZ

I am not a fan of B&M shift improver kits or familar with the parts in them. What sounds like the problem is the main line pressure was increased, but no spring change was made to the 2-3 shift valve.

With higher pressures the shift valve moves sooner/quicker.  TransGo kits include this stiffer 2-3 shift valve  spring.

Does the carb port the vacuum line is hooked to , have direct manifold vacuum?

Changing the modulator to an adjustable unit may help.  The adjustable modulator will only alter shift points under light throttle

Quote from: "timkins"It is a B & M Shift kit and the vacuum line is attached to the rear port on the carb (new 600 CFM Edelbrock) and it has the black modulator on the trans. The trans shifts almost like a 1-3 shift.  The trans shifted normally before I had the kit installed.
Tony

timkins

Is there a correct way to adjust the shift cable or is it by trial and error method?

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "timkins"Is there a correct way to adjust the shift cable or is it by trial and error method?

it is not a shift cable as per the TV cable on the 700r4 tranny. It is a detent cable, primary purpose to expand the shift points outs working with the governeor and vacuum modulator.  

If the governor pressure is too high or thje spring is weak , the shift valve will move early and cause a stacked shift that you are describing.

Full pull at WOT would be a starting point for the cable on the t-350 tranny.

There is also the possiblity that the springs were cahnged in the governor and this is cause of the change in shifts that you are complaining about
Tony

Dave

Quote from: "Crosley"well,

shift kits were invented by and the term "shift kit" is trade marked by TransGo.

Is this a TransGo shift kit?  It does not sound like it.

Where is the vacuum hooked up from the tranny to the engine?

Is it shifting quickly 1-2-3 or almost like a 1-3 shift?

What type of vacuum modulator is on the tranny?  A  black large OEM style or a gold zinc style?

Have you adjusted the modulator if it is a gold zinc style?

Ok how bout some info here. Isnt there a way to firm up the shifts on a turbo 350 with out even using a kit? I had a B&M kit in the 34 and when the front seal let go about 4 years ago trying to head to knoxville the guy that went thru the tranny pulled the kit and told me he could do it with out the kit.? I cant remember about the 350 in the 32 but it shifts good and hard but i cant remember if this guy used a kit or what? I do have a spec sheet for the 32 350 turbo and if i get time im gonna pull it and look to see what it says. but back to the first question ? True or false?
Dave
:?:

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "N8DC"[Ok how bout some info here.

Isnt there a way to firm up the shifts on a turbo 350 with out even using a kit?

but back to the first question ? True or false?

Dave
:?:

no kit needed.   :shock:

I can make them open the glove box door with out a  kit.  this applies during a re-build.

you can firm stuff up with only taking the v-body off for some modifications, not taking the pump and guts out.  

To make em hit like a bandit the guts gotta come out. without using a shift kit ( TransGo).

I've used TransGo for decades. It is either TransGo or my own version.
Tony

timkins

To Crosley;  Thanks for the additional information about adjusting the cable to WOT. I went back and loosened the cable at the carb and went to WOT and then adjusted the cable accordingly and the car is back to shifting the way I want it to. Again thanks for the information it was very beneficial and helpful.