coil over rates

Started by Topsterguy, March 25, 2005, 12:49:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Topsterguy

A pal asked me to put this on for him. I told him that the folks on this forum ALWAYS came up with answers.............and mostly the right ones! :wink:  He has a steel '32 coupe, full fendered, and needs to know what spring rate he should use for coil overs? :?  Waddyathink!??
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Dave

Quote from: "Topsterguy"A pal asked me to put this on for him. I told him that the folks on this forum ALWAYS came up with answers.............and mostly the right ones! :wink:  He has a steel '32 coupe, full fendered, and needs to know what spring rate he should use for coil overs? :?  Waddyathink!??

Well ive got a glass 32 highboy with 250 lb springs and id like to try 200's cause i think its too stiff. Ive heard a lot of people running the 200 pounders on highboys. If I was doing a 32 with fenders id start with 300 but that may be too heavyor too light . Ive also talked to tons of people and no one person can give you a good answer. So with that in mind plan on prolly changing springs later less ya get it right on the first time.
Dave :wink:

Topsterguy

Quote from: "N8DC"
Quote from: "Topsterguy"A pal asked me to put this on for him. I told him that the folks on this forum ALWAYS came up with answers.............and mostly the right ones! :wink:  He has a steel '32 coupe, full fendered, and needs to know what spring rate he should use for coil overs? :?  Waddyathink!??

Well ive got a glass 32 highboy with 250 lb springs and id like to try 200's cause i think its too stiff. Ive heard a lot of people running the 200 pounders on highboys. If I was doing a 32 with fenders id start with 300 but that may be too heavyor too light . Ive also talked to tons of people and no one person can give you a good answer. So with that in mind plan on prolly changing springs later less ya get it right on the first time.
Dave :wink:

Yeah, I used 250's in my glass 32 roadster and it's full fendered and they're pretty much right for that car. I suggested 250's and he thought that was a little much, but I don't think so. Thanks tho!
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

Red LeClear

One thing to consider before deciding what weight spring is how angled are the coil-overs.  The more angled the coil-overs the lower the effective rate and this will effect your ride.  I have a model a coupe highboy and run the 180 lb. springs, they are angled about 20 degrees and it seems about right.  Speedway motors has a section of their catalog that has a formula to figure out which springs based on weight and angle.  Check it out.

Roadstar

By using the chart in the Speedway catalog I determined that 175 lbs would be right for my fenderless glass body 32 roadster.

IT rides like a dream.