Connie Kits on a 56 Vicki - Info?

Started by choco, March 27, 2005, 05:24:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

choco

The Vicki insists that the Vicki (56 Crown Vic, EFI 302, C4, 8") will have a Continental Kit. I have seen hand built ones, but don't know too much about them.
Did the 56 Vic have a factory Connie Kit option?
Where could I get one?
Most importantly, how do you access the fuel filler, which is under the license plate? I am getting a new floor welded in, and the fuel tank needs to be fitted. I can't finish this off yet because I don't know whether I need to relocate the fuel filler to make way for the connie kit. Does the spare wheel cover swing away, to get access to the fuel filler?
Can somebody help me out here?
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Frank Choco Munday, Technical Author
Hot Rod Handbooks
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

enjenjo

Yes there was an original type Connie kit. I think someone in Ontario Canada is reproducing them. I believe the tire swung to one side for accesss to the fuel filler, but it may have tipped out. I have a buddy with a 56 Crown Vic who might know for sure.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

av8

I doubt that Ford actually manufactured the kit, but as I recall the spare mount was hinged at the bottom, much like the one on the '56 Thunderbird, and simply tilted back to permit access to the fuel filler.

Lacking good illustrations, it seems that a '56 Thunderbird parts book/shop manual could provide some good direction for creating a "Connie Kit." I'll check it out in Vern Tardel's shop library on Tuesday if you'd like.

Mike

av8

Some pics that might help . . .

A heavily tarted-up '56 with kit

A couple of pics of a kit for a '57 Pontiac to indicate the array of parts

parklane

There is a company in British Columbia (Canada) that sells the kit.They used to advertise in Hemmings, and maybe still do. The spare tilted back  (Ithink) :? Will get more info.

John
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??