'57 Ford wiper motor

Started by ragdol, April 05, 2005, 11:50:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ragdol

What options are there for the vacuum wiper motor other than a $300 kit. Really want to ditch the vacuum unit. TIA, Larry.

58 Yeoman

I lucked out on my 58 Chevy; the V8's came with electric, the 6's had vacuum.  Is it the same with Ford?  If it is, find one with an electric motor and switch.  Are 58 and 59 the same.  I had both a 57 and a 59 in high school, and I don't remember either one having vac wipers; both were 8's.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

fordnutz

Quote from: "ragdol"What options are there for the vacuum wiper motor other than a $300 kit. Really want to ditch the vacuum unit. TIA, Larry.

Find a 55-6-7 chevy one. They are a bolt on. Same mountng as ford. When I had 567 chevs I used to sell them to ford guys all the time because the chevy guys wouldn't pay more than $25 and the ford guys were so happy to get them they would offer $100 just to have one. Usually can find one used under $100. Fordnutz
Build em or buy em, but drive em.

ragdol

Does the motor oscillate or do I need the arms & all? The  electric wipers were first offered in "58 in Fords. They were cable driven, & the vacuum motor oscillated for the wiping motion. Don't know about the later electrics in Ford.

fordnutz

The chev wiper motor bolts on in the ford location and works like a ford one. It is cable operated like the ford. Pat
Build em or buy em, but drive em.

enjenjo

A 58 ford motor will work too, if you can find one. Newport Engineering makes a two speed electric conversion, for about $165 now too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.